Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 05:59:37 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  No more cassettes...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No more cassettes...  (Read 4438 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: May 13, 2008, 07:29:40 AM »

I finally got around to getting my stereo fitted which will mean goodbye to all those sounds from my teen years...but also goodbye to constantly twiddling of the tuning button every 10 miles...and hello to Ipod connectivity, CDs, Bluetooth telephone, presets, RDS...and 4 X 52 watts of power!? Cheesy Grin

Maybe I can put the old Blaupunkt (which had excellent sound repro both from the tuner & cassette) in the new Super! And it looks much more suited to a 131 dash than the modern stuff.

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
bax131

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »

Install on of these cd players (too expensive the one with bluetooth  Shocked) and the battery gone flat after one week. Reason might be *the power lead wire connect directly to the battery and *seldom driven. Result, took it out & a hole in the dash  Grin.

Anyway, the unit is amazing, Kev, with all the ease of connectivity.

1977 Fiat 131S Mirafiori 1.6
ger

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »

Hi Kev,

love the new unit, now at least the Scotland run will be that more fun with all the new buttons to play with....................will Limerick 95 live fm be recieved in Scotland Grin Cheesy Grin.
GER

Die Young at a Very Old Age.............3 times 131 owner(1300/1600cl & 2lt Gun Metal Grey Sport) and now the proud owner 01 Punto Sporting 1.2lt  6 speed 16 valve (black); 89 E30 BMW 316i; 96 Saab 900 ; and a 7 seater for the clan
sid131

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »

Install on of these cd players (too expensive the one with bluetooth  Shocked) and the battery gone flat after one week. Reason might be *the power lead wire connect directly to the battery and *seldom driven. Result, took it out & a hole in the dash  Grin.

Anyway, the unit is amazing, Kev, with all the ease of connectivity.

go to maplins & get a trickle solar charger for about 20 euro & clip it onto the battery when  not using the car & it will keep the battery in tip top condition, i have one great job.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

I am using the same power supply as the last stereo - Do you still think the battery wil be drained..?

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »

Older cars like the 131 do not have an "accessories" setting on their ignition switch. Older radio units had a single power supply input and that could have been switched (i.e radio would only work with the ignition on) or permanent/unswitched (i.e. the radio would work even if the ignition was off). Modern radio units have two power inputs: one takes permanent (unswitched) 12 volts and it's used to keep the unit's memory intact and the other switched 12 volt supply (connected to the "accessories" part of the ignition switch on modern cars) allows the unit to work.

So presumably in wiring your new unit in the 131, you have connected both the switched and unswitched input wires together and connected them to your single power source available on your 131. So if your newly installed radio unit works while the ignition is off then parts such as the bluetooth receiver are working and draining your battery all the time. If the unit does not work unless the ignition is switched on then you are OK. But if that's the case make sure that it still keeps all the station programming and other settings when you haven't used the car for a few days.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:29:39 AM »

I stipped all of the radio and amplier kit out of my Abarth when I got it because the wiring was terrible and the battery would drain in 36 hours Shocked The previous owner was a complete dork and fitted a 12" bass tube in the boot and a 100W amp under the rear shelf, above the fuel tank! Shocked There was also a graphic equaliser fitted in the ash tray space at the front, all wired together using Italian wet string technology Angry When the engine was running the engine interfered with the stereo - even when the stereo was switched off Roll Eyes

Needless to say, I no longer have any ICE fitted in my Abarth as I don't trust the electrics Undecided Besides, it would drown out the sound of my 16v TC - and I wouldn't want that Wink
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:35:20 AM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.