Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 10:23:51 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Volumetrico 4 door grille variations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Volumetrico 4 door grille variations  (Read 4921 times)
Paul S

« on: October 10, 2008, 03:22:40 PM »

Please could someone explain the differences as I have seen pics of 4 doors with rectangular headlights and standard grille, the Sport/Racing headlight and grille (the best and most appropriate IMHO) and the 4 round headlight set up (all same size a la Panorama 2000TC and Seat 131 Diplomatique).

Were all available?? Was it pot luck?? or could the set up be specified on order?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:24:35 PM by Paul S » Logged
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »

All four door Volumetricos would have left the factory with the standard rectangular headlamps as fitted to the Supermirafiori, the car on which they were based. Any variations you have seen (e.g. Sport grill and lamps or series 1 round lamps) would have been aftermarket fitments.? Have a read of Albert's excellent article "Superharged 131s" in the? 131 Story section of the website. As you'll read in the article, the 4-door Volumetricos were "Based on the third series? Fiat 131 Supermirafiori , which was introduced in March 1981, the Volumetrico version followed in May 1981, exclusively for? the Italian market and was available for less than 1 year. All the cars were produced in silver grey metallic."?

As you'll also read in Albert's article, there were also some Fiat 131 Racing Volumetrico Abarths but they were two door cars and as they were based on the second series 131 Racings, they had the Racing/Sport grill with the unequal sized round headlamps.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Gremlino

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »

Hi Paul,

I decided to change my Volumetricos S3 SuperMirafiori front over to the Sport/Racing front because I share your opinion and thought it looked better  Cool

At the same time I removed the huge grey barge boards from the sides and replaced them with the Sport/Racing arch mouldings & bumpers.
Ok its no longer 'original' but its defo more pleasing to the eye  Wink

Theo is quite right in refering to Alberts artricle.....the most info ever posted anywhere on the Volumetrico.

As for the front on Alberts blue S3......that appears to be a Maratea front grill and is most likely original fitment on His unique car.   

Signature has gone Kaput!
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »

Paul,

I think everything is said about this topic. The 4 door Volumetrico had the original grille with rectangular lights but fitting a Racing grille was easy.
The Racings had the Racing grille(really Wink
My blue car wears the Maratea grille for the reason you can see in my other posts, but it wears a lot of other unique features.

You enjoyed the article?

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »

Guys I'm no expert on the Volumetrico but like Paul I too have begun to wonder if the series 3 4 door came as new with EITHER single or twin (from the Racing) headlamps. The reason I think that there may have variation at construction stage is due to the actual number of these silver cars that I have seen fitted with the Racing headlamps/grill. Probably as many as the single headlamp set up.

Is it also not accepted knowledge that Fiat's quality control on part selection was not infallible and the construction methods on a given day may simply have been down to whatever box of parts was closest at the time - Eg the variation between "Mirafiori Sport" & "Racing" badges that appear on cars being sold in markets where it was only known as the Mirafiori Sport.

While I accept that it is an easy post production modification I am open to the idea that there was variation at production stage.? Smiley

Also you refer to Albert's grill on his unique series 3 as a "Maratea" grill .....are you implying that this grill was only available on that special edition version of the series 3 estate?

I seem to remember that it was standard on the Supermirafiori Panorama 2000TC sold until 1984 post Regata launch and pre Regata Weekend..? Huh

On the subject of that grill I have just bought one on Ebay with the idea of converting my Series 3 Super to that headlamp style. I do think that the best looking 131s are the ones with twin headlamps.

My next requirement will be the headlamps and to establish what brackets are required to attach them to the grill - Albert when you get an opportunity maybe you could take some photos of your car's set up to give me an idea of what is involved..? Wink

Cheers

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »

Official the 4 doors were fitted with the standard grille with rectangular lights. I am quite sure that it was possible to order the Racing grille, although I expect that they were changed later. All original documents show rectangular lights.

The 3rd series 131 Panorama had this grille indeed, the Maratea was based on this car.

You can ask all pictures from the car or grille Kev, no problem! Grin

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
Gremlino

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

Kev,

As Albert says.
If you have a look at the original press pics of the S3 Volumetrico it always shows the car with the square lamps, I agree that there now a few cars that have the Sport front end but I'm sure that they didn't leave Corse Marche that way.

I have noticed that nearly all the 4dr cars were 'basic' (no extras) 2000tc models in silver and they came with L/H door mirror only.....cheapskates!

Also you refer to Albert's grill on his unique series 3 as a "Maratea" grill .....are you implying that this grill was only available on that special edition version of the series 3 estate?

No, I refer to this grill as the Maratea grill because that is the model I first saw with this grill and I've found that other people also use the name for it.

There are a number of similar looking fronts with subtle differences....and thats just the European versions.
I'm not even going to start looking at the Nth/Sth American cars as I think I'd lose my marbles.....again Grin

Signature has gone Kaput!
Paul S

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:46:17 AM »

All, firstly thanks for your replies and I am glad that this subject has prompted healthy debate and opinion.? The initial reason I asked the question was a) because I had seen various pics with the obvious light set up differences and also b) in the article on this web site, both the 4 doors in the pics have the Sport/Racing grille and one of the pics has a car with the bonnet open, it looks like a "factory" or publicity shot as the car has the lettering "Volumetrico Abarth" down the side.

I really would love one of these cars, and may have to think more seriously about making it a reality.? I need more space LOL.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:07:46 AM by Paul S » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.