Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 11:20:19 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Racing - awoken from it's long sleep
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Racing - awoken from it's long sleep  (Read 3047 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: October 17, 2008, 06:51:40 AM »

As my seemingly never ending building works are nearing completion at home, I thought it was time yesterday to try and start the Racing, and move it from where it has sat since March Shocked Needless to say the battery was a little dodgy, but after a bit (in fact a lot!) of electrical assistance by way of a powerful charger I borrowed from a mate, the engine was soon turning over - but failed to start. Cry The cold and damp seem to have taken it's toll with the electrics, and the cold of yesterday morning did nothing to help either me or the Racing! Undecided

I did the usual wiggling of cables and re-newing of connections and still it wouldn't start. I could smell petrol from the exhaust so was confident that my problem was electrical/electronic - as it proved to be!

I've had Sports fail to start due to corrosion in the resistor in the electronic ignition module so thought it best to change this. A couple of years ago I purchased a replacement for ?10 from a guy in the FIAT Motor Club who 'saw it, and thought of me!' Grin So, I dutifully changed the units over and tried again. Second turn of the engine it jumped into life!!

Amazingly the car went into gear without any trouble (re-newed the clutch about 1,000 miles ago) and I moved it around the garden with no problems. Excellent!

Now - what to do with it.............

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
chris131

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »

Put it up for sale and then I can buy it  Grin

Wouldn't want it getting damaged during the building work  Wink
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:12:01 PM »

I hope that the Racing wont get damaged now as the building works are all but complete - but that is only after 33 weeks of an originally 20 week contract Angry Roll Eyes Still....

If I decide to sell the Racing (which is possible but not yet probable! Wink) then the users of this forum will be the first to know. Thing is it's difficult to put a value on it as it hasn't been used for a while on the road, although it's totally original spec and still runs well, but it runs a little smokey as the valve stem oil seals have hardened off now Roll Eyes

Shell is excellent as it spent all of its life in the sunny Italian climate until 3 years ago, although it's starting to go in the usual places.

I'll qualify all of the above by saying that as things currently stand I have no intention of selling it - but large bundles of cash (and I mean LARGE!!) might pursuade me otherwise Wink Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Gremlino

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 03:51:37 PM »

Go on Si........bite the bullet.....SELL,SELL,SELL  Cheesy

Signature has gone Kaput!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.