Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 07:44:11 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  History repeating?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: History repeating?  (Read 2498 times)
Gremlino

« on: November 14, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »

Whilst on my search for new things 131 and Abarth I stumbled upon an article on Italiaspeed covering the celebration of what would have been Karl (Carlo) Abarths 100th birthday.

There are many pics of the display in Turin showing an assortment of Abarth cars and a pic of the new Abarth 500 0-100 limited edition Assetto Corsa.

I thought the colour looked strangely familiar...

When I was building my 1000TC replica way back in 1996 I liked the shade of silver that was popular on exotic cars of the 1950's, a slight tint in the silver leant itself to curved body panels.
My Pal the sprayer was into old Lancias and he liked the same shade of silver.
We decided to paint my car Dolphin Grey as this had just the right tint.

When I was later running the car at Hillclimbs in Italy I was often asked by the Italian enthusiasts what the 'colore' was as they really liked it and were thinking of painting their cars the same shade.

I wonder who these guys were?...you never know  Wink

* Copy of Syl at Vern 7.jpg (174.11 KB, 791x603 - viewed 453 times.)

* Abarth 0-100 Assetto Corsa.jpg (279.28 KB, 1024x769 - viewed 430 times.)

Signature has gone Kaput!
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 01:46:37 AM »

Well, at least tradition has a modern folow-up.

Is the Fiat capable of building the prestige, popularity and emotional appeal of the new Abarth to the new generation of drivers whose apparent main appeal comes from black windowed BMW's, "visual tuning", tire burning, drifting and 1000 bhp engines in cars that one would not dare put not a sharp curve ?

Unless the new Abarth actually wins races and rallies (in its class, of course) it will be just a poor reflection of history.

Remember the times when Fiat was putting more money into rallying than Farrari into F1?

Unlikely this will ever come back ... though it is really nice to have the Abarth back.     

Miro

PS: Even thought the new 500 Abarth appeals to me, I really like your 1000TC replica better.

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
Gremlino

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:49 AM »

Thanks Miro,

If Nuova Abarth become successful once again in motorsport and manage to capture a new generation of fans/owners then they will go from strength to strength.

If they fail on boths fronts then this rebirth will indeed be a short term venture.

I remember when Lancia Racing (Abarth) rally cars had comparable engine power to F1 Ferrari  Grin

I prefer my old TC rep too (120mph in a car that small is a real mind sharpener Wink

G

Signature has gone Kaput!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.