Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 09:50:04 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  2000 Tc engine doesn't run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2000 Tc engine doesn't run  (Read 68659 times)
djape1977

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »

is the fuel getting to the cylinders?
tryed with another carb?

get a bigger hammer!
mirafiori76

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »

Carbs are perfect and yes, fuel gets to cylinders. Timing is good, sparks are good, fuel is good. But still no firing. And that after being a Fiat mechanic for over 25 years.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
nash

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »

tdc turn dizzy to fire on no 4 not no 1
djape1977

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 01:37:22 PM »

ok, lets recap:
timing is ok
spark is there, it's not weak (not orange spark but strong blue)
fuel is there - too much or too little fuel? fuel/air mix correct?
starter is turning fast? if slow that might be a problem.

have you measured compression? do all cylinders get at least 8-9 bar?
have you tried to bolt on manifold with carb from another running engine? perhaps mixture is wrong?

couple weaks ago i changed piston rings in a lada. wouldn't start afterwards no matter what. hooked it to another car and  towed and it started immediately and running fine ever since...

get a bigger hammer!
mirafiori76

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »

Tried it, check it, changed it Undecided Towed the car three blocks...nothing.
The list untill this far:

New battery
New starter motor
New coil(s)
New cables
New sparkplugs
New carbs
New cylinder head
New timing belt
Even a new ignition switch
Checked valves
Checked compression (around 9)
Checked pistons
Checked timing and checked it again and again
Checked ignition timing and again and again
Checked all wiring in engine bay
Checked fuel

It's giving me a headache. All of my 131 experience for more then 25 years right out the window.

djape1977

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »

only thing left to do is change to a single carb manifold, pour some petrol straight down the carb and giving it a try

get a bigger hammer!
mirafiori76

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »

I have non in stock. Only the set of carbs that were first mounted on the engine. But when I use the throttle fuel is injected, so that's not the problem either.
Really, the engine gets fuel and a nice spark at the right time, but there is not even a moment of firing at all. Not even during towing.
I'm not kidding. This is a serious dilemma. I wanted to take the car for a tour drive which is every year in my hometown. It was last week...perhaps next year...

djape1977

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »

there's nothing i can do but to thow in ideas like this...
wish i could lay my hands on it. troubleshooting is my favourite game.

try removing sparkplugs amd injecting a little bit of oil into each cylinder. crank it couple times and then put sparks back in and try again. that should boost compression for a short while.

also it might be worth a try to dissconnect fuel line and inject start spray while cranking. any aerosol will do, even deodorant.

get a bigger hammer!
mirafiori76

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »

Djape,

I poured some fuel directly into the carbs. Left me with nice clean pistons... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy. But using the throttle already means fuel injection.
A few minutes ago I connected the coil directly to the battery...didn't work out.

djape1977

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »

am i stupid or what? how can it be?
there's spark + fuel + compression = fire should be result. what are we missing??

get a bigger hammer!
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 03:02:50 PM »

Seeing as things are looking desperate as well as perplexing .....maybe a suggestion from a non mechanic might be of some little use. My Super failed to start last year and after exhausting mechanical issues the mechanic called in a sparky who diagnosed a faulty ignition switch. A new switch later and as is well.

Now I know you have listed a replacement ignition switch amongst the list of things tried...but is it possible that the new switch is faulty too..? Can you test it? In fact that theory could apply to more than one solution tried to date... Huh

Good luck....

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »

Pour some of the fuel on the floor and see if it burns. Not health and safety concious but if the fuel don't burn the car won't run.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
mirafiori76

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »

Djape,

Then I would be stupid too...for four years then. I must be missing a minor little thing here. I build and rebuild a lot of engines through the years and they always fired. I'm possitive that when I make my Abarth complete it will fire at the end. Perhaps sooner then the Racing.
Yes it gets fuel, and yes it gets spark at the right time. All seems to be right.

Kevin, I tried 4 ignition switches. No result. I tried 3 coils, no result. Exchanged sparkplugs, cables, everything I have in stock, but nothing works.

Everything I know, everything I have concerning parts, I tried. And it's such a beautiful yet simple system. The engine just has to go. It's stupid and it's making me very angry.Can you understand? If there's somebody here in Holland who knows something about the 131 it's me...and I can't get it to fire...g..........d

mirafiori76

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »

Keep throwing in suggestions. How silly they may seem. I don't care. I'll try anything together with my own thoughts. At the end it has to fire. And when this happens i'll throw a party and you lot are all invited... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

124 man

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »

Try earthing the engine

Keeper of 124s 125 &  132
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.