Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 09:17:18 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Fuel problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuel problem  (Read 3171 times)
Japk577

« on: December 19, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »

Hi I have 131 16 ohv with a solex carb runs fine get to the top of a hill or giv it some beans and it dies like it runs out of fuel is it a kwick fix would a webber of a twin cam work
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:10:49 PM by Japk577 » Logged
FIZMO

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

i would check your fuel pressure try replacing you fuel filter then check you fuel pump it may be on the way out or check your Accelerator pump in you carby it may be block or failed!!

i hope that helps

Ciao

Samuel Smiley
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »

Basically the fuel system needs to be reviewed.;

Go from simple and inexpensive to costly and complex

1/ Replace the fuel filter. Mere inspection may not do and the filter is a very inexpensive (When did you change it last?)  BTW : of you notice major dirt you may need to flush the tank (or remember not to run on vapor, The lower the fuel level the grater chance the pump will suck the dirt accumulated on the bottom 

2/  change the membranes in the fuel pump ( I assume you have a mechanical pump). Again this is inexpensive and simple to do , and after many yer of exposure to fuel the membranes do get worn and leak greatelty educing the fuel pressure.

Is this does not work you need to look at the carb. 

Open it from the top and loom for any dirt inside as well as sticking floater and the needle valve . Unscrew the idle jet and mixture jets ( clean them and blow through them to remove any potential dirt bits. With top of the carb off (and car not running) move the throttle to max by hand couple of times and observe . You should see the acceleration jet injecting  a generous portion of pule into the barrel of the carb. If the flow is poor the acceleration pump may be stuck or jest clogged ( as FIZMO pointed out) . 

Is the timing on the engine OK. ( Does it start well when cold /hot?) Does it accelerate well when the car is stationary?

What about the spark plugs ( are they nice with light brown color? ( When did you last replace them / cleaned  them )

If all this does not help you might have a carburetor problem that needs attention of some who knows how verufy tit operates properly.

My sense tells me it is unlikely.

Let us know how it worked out.

Miro   

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.