Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 09:26:19 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Rest and Recouperation for my Abarth Stradale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rest and Recouperation for my Abarth Stradale  (Read 3736 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: June 20, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »

As many of you may have already read 3MA14 was a little traumatic for me this year and unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy it quite as much as I have done over the years. Unfortunately Arbie suffered from a failed alternator - yes, the replacement alternator failed and in style - in a traffic jam in a Swiss motorway tunnel. Luckily I had my 131 family immediately on hand to help me and I am eternally grateful for that. Thank you to you all on 3MA14 - I was extremely embarrassed and hugely deflated. Embarrassed

Anyway, as well as the alternator failing the higher European summer temperatures also lead to my electronic ignition module failing which was replaced late one night in an Italian hotel car park and again, my grateful thanks to my 3MA family for helping me with it's replacement.

So, after feeling like the cuckoo who pushed Linda from Theo's Nest - again, my humble, grovelling thanks to Linda for enduring the back seat of Theo's Sport while I rode shotgun - the Abarth was nursed back to the UK where she now sits in the garage dirty and in not a little disgrace - with a huge question mark hanging over her future. Cry

Truth is, it's totally my fault that Arbie let me down. Long ago I promised that she'd get the restoration she deserved yet every year I press her in to European Duties after she'd been laid up for months at a time. So I have decided that the time has come.......

Next Friday is my eldest daughter Shannon's Prom and she has asked that I take her in Arbie so that will probably be the last 'official' outing of Arbie for the foreseeable future - until she is fully restored back to health and reliability - and it truly breaks my heart to lock her up without a real plan for getting her back on the road  Cry Cry Cry

* Arbie snow s.jpg (180.91 KB, 800x598 - viewed 408 times.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:42:16 PM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
c.a.c131

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »

Cry Have you someone to do the restoration on it ?

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
Rob 131

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »

What would be involved in a Restoration for the Abarth.

If you are laying the car up for an indefinite period what is required to preserve the vehicle and prevent any further deterioration.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »

I have options as regards someone to do the restoration, but either way I will have to wait until they have space. Wink

I have no intention of laying the car up indefinitely or for a long period - I shall be using it locally throughout the summer although any longer trips will be borne by a 131S.  Cool

The restoration of an Abarth is no different to the restoration of any other car. What I'd like is a full strip and rebuild - mechanically and bodily, including sorting the electrics. I'm not looking for upgrades, preferring always to keep to the original factory specs, although I may be persuaded differently as time progresses. Smiley

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »

I think you are being very hard on yourself and the Abarth. The truth is that the car covered over 3000km in under a week and it got you there and safely back home. Occational 'hicups' are a way of life with older cars and in any case the Abarth problems on 3ma14 were the alternator which was just 4 days old and not one of the many 40 year old parts! And the electronic ignition thingy was aftermarket so you can't blame the Abarth for that either. So both those problems could have happened to a restored car anyway  Wink  So feel proud that the Abarth allowed you to enjoy another 3ma and you should feel proud for owning such a wonderful car  Cheesy

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.