Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:47:12 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Removing windscreens/back windows
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Removing windscreens/back windows  (Read 10332 times)
Testament

« on: December 13, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »

Success! got both screens out today on my own - while I'm sure this is nothing new to alot of you I still figure I'm probably not the only person who didn't know how easy it is so I took a few pics and here is a bit of a guide.

How to remove non bonded glass on your own (based on something I saw on another site but lost the link)

step one: make up about 10-15 small rectangles (roughly 30mm x 60mm) out of something reasonably stiff but still slightly bendy - I used some aluminium sheet but you could probably use thin panel steel or even plastic

step two: starting from somewhere along the top peel the rubber back and tuck one of the rectangles in behind the rubber, try to push it down into the notch in the rubber but dont force it too much, there is no need to rush. put in more of the rectanlges like this working away in both directions from wherever you started until you have the whole top and as much of the sides of the rubber strip being pried away by the rectangles.

step three: now its a bit of a juggling act between pushing out on the glass firmly and pushing all the rectangles further into the rubber seal and eventually when they are deep enough in past the metal flange you can lever them down to get the rubber to unfurl completely. it was really just a matter of working methodically and carefully between pushing the glass out and levering the rectangles until the top of the screen came free.

front screen

and done

Really an easy job in the end, just dont rush and take alot of care to try and work the screen out evenly. that said the whole job didnt actually take very long, only about 15min to get both screens out - it took longer to cut up and deburr all the bits of aluminium.
sid131

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »

I got my mate Paul the failer to take out my screens in both the 131 & the celica with just a screwdriver Grin Grin
he also refitted the celica screens no bother with a piece of wire, what a guy!! Grin Grin Grin
(he will kill me for this lol!)
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 11:54:25 PM »

I too use a screwdriver or two to remove rubber mounted screens. That's an interesting method though!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
eugene

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:47:13 AM »

Anyone know how to remove a bonded screen in a Suzuki Swift Roll Eyes.I never did one of these before.The one thats in it has a crack in it and must get a replacement screen before it goes for it's test.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
djape1977

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:54:34 AM »

a fidly job. it's done by cutting it out using a piano wire for example. just smash it out, it's broken already.

get a bigger hammer!
hammerbeirne

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »

Be sure to cover the dash and seats with a cover as the glass fragments will get everywhere especially the air vents And use protective eye goggles and gloves it can get messy Wink
djape1977

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »

i usualy stick a 1/2 mm thick nylon with a duct tape on the inside of a windscreen and then just smash it to pieces.

how much does it cost in your part of the world to get it replaced by a professional?

get a bigger hammer!
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

how much does it cost in your part of the world to get it replaced by a professional?

In the UK car windscreens are normally covered by the car's insurance although there is a certain excess to any glass claim on the insurance. I had the front screen changed on my 131 Sport recently and the screen had to be custom-made for my car by Pilkington as they didn't have any in stock. Even so, it only cost me my insurance excess of ?50 (about ?55) to have it made and fitted.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
106usj

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »

Thotos.
Did pilkington supply you the glass with the green sun stripe ?? as i was told you can get replacement windscreens made but they dont have the green sun tint just plain. True or false Huh?
Also did they remove rubber with out damage ok...Huh
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:15 AM »

Pilkington made a proper Sport screen which is tinted with additional top tint. The screen was ordered and fitted by Autoglass who did a splendid job without any damage to the screen rubber or paintwork.  Yagmur also has tinted screens with the top tint if you need one.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
106usj

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »

Intresting !!
Was told windscreens were a nightmare to get hold off witht the tint.
Thats good to know then thanks Theo..
106usj

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »

Does Yagmur also sell the window rubber to go with the screen to suit the sport. Huh
sid131

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »

Yagmurs front & rear rubbers are the same as the sport exactly!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.