Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:37:55 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Throttle Return Spring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Throttle Return Spring  (Read 12033 times)
hammerbeirne

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »

I think if one could source a spring made of stainless steel it probably wouldnt break
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »

The problem with these springs is that they hook into a small hole in the metal linkage and there's constant metal to metal friction and wear so the spring hook eventually snaps. I say "problem" loosely here as even though we've had a few springs go on us at 3ma meetings (and more recently Kev's) I wouldn't refer to this as a major problem. These are all cars that are well over 20 years old and probably never had these springs replaced in the past. I am sure that stainless steel springs will eliminate the problem and so will Teflon grommets in the mounting holes of the linkage but is there a real need for anything like this? I am sure the occasional application (every service) of a bit of grease in the  right place will double the life of the springs. I still maintain that Kev's problem is more likely due to a previous bodged repair.  I think the spring hook snapped and instead of changing the spring someone drilled out the mounting hole and added a bolt and nut to hold onto the remainder of the spring. With vibration (let's face it, these twin cams are not the smoothest engines!) the nut and bolt probably loosened enough to let go of the spring.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:32:44 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »

Two new springs arrived from an Ebay suplier called fastroadcars who claims to be an authorised weber dealer.

They seem long enough at 90mm and well made with the hooks at each end moving around within their mountings - This feels like it will reduce wear. These are much less stiff than what was there before and seem to make the engine more responsive to throttle inputs. I'm not sure if the throttle is slightly more open at idle than before though - I'll need to watch the idle speed.

I thought that these were good value for two delivered to Ireland for ?8.00.  Smiley

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200307452357
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:55:45 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »

A rip off Kev.I got four of them last saturday Lada ones for 50cent for the four of them.They are the same as the 131 springs Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »

A rip off Kev.I got four of them last saturday Lada ones for 50cent for the four of them.They are the same as the 131 springs Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink.Eugene

..which keep breaking..... Wink

I like the engineering feel of the ones I have although I don't know what the longevity is yet...

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »

The Lada ones do not break,as i have owned a Lada Niva since 1993 and to date never a spring has broken in any of my Nivas Cheesy.The Lada springs are the same as the 131 except they a  bit stronger Grin Grin.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
theredx19
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »

The Lada ones do not break,as i have owned a Lada Niva since 1993 and to date never a spring has broken in any of my Nivas Cheesy.The Lada springs are the same as the 131 except they a  bit stronger Grin Grin.Eugene
Well if they dont break why did you buy 4 of them are the Ladas starting to show signs of problems  Grin Grin Grin
eugene

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »

I bought the extra springs in case you or others may need them in the future Wink,unless you want to pay rip off prices like Kev had to Shocked Shocked Shocked.Eugene

gay131lover
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »

who says cork people are not thoughtful  Grin Grin scarcasim from the reddish fellow again eugene Cry Cry Cry
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.