Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 07:02:26 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Jeremy Clarkson writes about 131s
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeremy Clarkson writes about 131s  (Read 8294 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:35 PM »

If you read Jeremy Clarkson?s blog in the Times at http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article4124872.ece  you?ll see that Mr Clarkson has finally acknowledged the existence of the great cars we know as the 131.  Cheesy

The 131 Mr Clarkson mentions is in fact my 131 Sport as seen recently at the Auto-Italia magazine's Italian Car Day at Stanford Hall in Leicestershire.

Clarkson says: ?Or no, hang on a minute. Isn?t that a 131 Mirafiori over there ? the car that was advertised in a cage, growling? And it?s parked next to a 132. My head was starting to swim.? 

Below is a photo of my 131 next to the 132, as advertised in the Times.  Grin

Of course if I were to put on my anorak here, I would point out to Mr Clarkson that the car that was advertised in a cage growling was in fact the 131 Super Mirafiori while my car is the 131 Mirafiori Sport.   Wink

* P1040327s.JPG (305.08 KB, 800x600 - viewed 585 times.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:37:36 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

I think we possibly need to beware of the fallout following Mr Clarkson's putting finger to keyboard!? Roll Eyes Whilst he has written sweet words about Ferrari in the past, he has often been less than complementary on other Italian makes Undecided

I think he is possibly just building up to his next laugh - and it's bound to be at the expense of a car that is dear to our heart Cry

or am I just being over sensitive.......?

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
eugene

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »

My opinion of Clarkson is that he is an asshole(not ment to offend anyone).Recently he and that fool friend of his(can't remember his name just now) who almost killed himself were taking the piss out a rover2200 and a Truimph Dolomite on one of his shows.
These cars were not so reliable,but the UK Police used the Rover2200,however i liked a lot of the styling they had,but Clarkson and his idiot friend just spoke about these cars as being total rubbish.This was totally untrue and an insult to the English people who built them.
Theo your car is a credit to you as is Simons,Kevs,Alberts etc etc,
Clarkson is just full of bullshit and full of himself.
I would love to hear other forum members opinions of Clarkson.Slan Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
eugene

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »

Simon you are correct.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
sid131

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:17:29 PM »

well said eugene he is full of shite
italianxrays

Fiat 131 - VFP783X

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:52:01 PM »

Both cars look amazing, of course James of 132 Fame is another Fiat fan with his amazing Volumex Argenta etc.
Mr C -well strong words, I seem to recal him slagging off MG owners as sad individuals, in my opinion anyone over 5ft 10inches tall who buys a GT40 he cant fit in must be a little loopy.

I think James May is OK & the little fella.

I wouldn't let Clarkson near a 131 far too great a car to grace his rear end.
Gremlino

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »

Well put lads,

As Theo might confirm the 'Top Gear' dynamic duo (where was Hamster?) were just plodding from make to make at Stanford Hall.
May doing his usual nostalgia thing and Curly Top passing trivial comments and sneering as he went, this is not quality journalism its just an outdated point of view.

What made it worse was the sea of hangers on that followed in their wake giggling and tittering at every word that was said, I expect children to do this but not grown adults!

OK I'm not anti Top Gear (the programme is entertaining) but I am anti 'Idol Worship' of just ordinary people with very ordinary driving abilities.......ever seen Mr C complete a drift?........its amazing how the camera always cuts away just as the car breaks away!  Cheesy
Ever noticed that the majority of shots of the car being 'hung' properly are so dark filtered that its impossible to see whos doing the driving?

He talks the talk........but he don't walk the walk  Grin

Signature has gone Kaput!
markwilliams131

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

it was a rover sd1 3500 not a2200 eugene as i have 1 3.5lv8 vitesse Smiley
not everybodys cup of tea but i like it savage ouick and even handles
when ya drop it 30mill as for clarkson i forgave him cos i think him may and hamster are great love top gear Wink

131 sport x 4  lancia beta volumex coupe rover sd1 vitesse mini 1275gt
mk2 golf gti  1.9 205 gti   opel omega mv6     alfa 156
gerafiori
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

i have to agree with you mark,  i love top gear it gets better each season
and they show enough italian metal,  clarkson is the daddy of motor journalism,  he made millions {well a couple} from his tv dvd books
the guy is doing something right,
gerry
theredx19
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »

I agree with ya Gerry respect to any man who comes up with a plan to wreck 3 more british cars it will help ease my work load....
january 131CL

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »

Mr.C is a successful journalist. As in all successful people, they are respected for their success. It makes no difference if they know what they are talking. Real 131 lovers may hate him but he is privileged to have driven a wide variety of cars, unlike most of us.
Baja141

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »

Clarkson is a motoring entertainer, a lot people may like the way he write because normal motoring journal is too monotonous and quite boring, most are too bias to the manufacturer, so he just be himself, will not bother what people think abt him, inject humour into these and manage to make millions out of it. It works well, people need entertainment anyway  Wink Its fun watching top gear  Cool

Fiat131TC-Fiat131CL
bax131

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »

I'm one of Mr C's fan. Collected many of Top Gear series (mostly thru torrents) and my favourite is The Good The Bad and The Ugly. And equally entertaining is the team from F Gear, Mr Needell & all. A dose of tyre screeching and adrenalin rush  Grin.

1977 Fiat 131S Mirafiori 1.6
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »

The Top Gear episode with the Alfas, which presumably includes the concourse competition at Stanford Hall, is going to be on next Sunday (06/07/2008). According to the Top Gear website: "All three of the presenters go on the hunt for the holy grail of motoring - a reliable used Alfa Romeo - with predictably messy results"

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.