Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:53:32 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Reminiscing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminiscing?  (Read 4623 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« on: February 18, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »

If it is any help the route that I took from Frankfurt to Cherbourg was as follows 

Frankfurt (North of Stuttgart)
Limburg
Koblenz

I drove to Koblenz from the UK in a 131 in 1981. It was in my 1600 Special (series 1). It was during that trip that the car developed a strange handling phenomenon. I could drive up to high speeds of 90mph or even more without any problems but when the car was allowed to reduce speed without applying the brakes, at about 85mph there was a rather alarming sideways swaying at the rear of the car which lasted until the speed dropped below 80mph. Slight application of the brakes would steady the car.  The problem turned out to be due to worn bushes on the rear axle trailing arms which allowed some rear wheel steering.

The 131 and yours truly outside Koblenz. Is that map of the area still there?

That?s when I also found out that the single piece trailing arm bushes for the 131 were not available from Fiat as a spare part, the complete trailing arm had to be replaced. But Fiat 124 trailing arms had two-piece bushes which were available and fitted the 131 trailing arms perfectly!  In fact I still have a bag full of 124 trailing arm bushes which I can use on the 131 when I next need to?..

The 131 and the slightly seasick passengers at our destination in Koblenz
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:38:21 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »

Hi Theo

Thats a nice little story. Thats exactly what we should be sharing on this forum I feel. If anyone has stories to tell that involves a 131, dont be shy, we'd love to hear them.

Especially if you have photos as well. Those pics are great T - Even back in those days it's obvious that the Mirafiori was a member of your family!? Cheesy

Can I ask you a question though? Do you still have the wig?? Grin (I know, I know - I can't talk!!!)? Roll Eyes

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:37:55 AM »

We should know by now that Theo only ever has his photo taken with a car in the same shot - never just the man! Grin Cheesy

I used to be that thin too - in 1981!! Embarrassed Cry

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
eugene

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:51:37 PM »

Ok here we go.My neighbour who was in my garage a few weeksago (he doesn't have hair on his head)said to me"you never see a bald donkey",i said thats correct and i said to him do you want to know why you never see a bald donkey.He replied yes.The donkey has the brains to grow hair.Ha ha ha.Hope no one with little hair on there head is offended by this.Slan Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.