Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:07:33 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 125 manual gearbox
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 125 manual gearbox  (Read 7025 times)
farranwilliam

I am retired, enoying the classic car Fraternity

« on: February 18, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »

I would like to get a manual gearbox to fit my 131 mirafiori 1.6 automatic.
If anybody has one for sale please contact me as I am trying to reduce my fuel usage (currently 21 MPG ) Joe Egan

At present I have Mirafiori Mk2 Automatic, Ritmo S85 Cabrio, Ritmo 105 TC, Fiat X1/9 1.5,  Kadett D 1.2,
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

I have a spare 5 speed 131 box but as I'm in the UK getting it to you might be costly.

You will also need a flywheel, clutch, release arm, manual pedal box, gearlever, clutch cable and possibly a manual centre consul.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Tas131

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »

I think the front section of the tailshaft is also a different length between manual and auto.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »

No, Dave is right, he's listing almost everything that is needed (add a pilot bearing for the engine, auto engines usually do not have that).

My own car was originally a 1600 OHV auto.
Then engine was changed to 1600 TC, auto box remained.
Engine changed again to 1400 OHC, auto box remained.
Then back to original engine with 2 litre manual gearbox - this particular combination does not allow mounting of a starter!  Shocked

All those mods were done by her previous owner, who was kinda reckless  Wink

Essential modification when converting to manual trans is grounding of the wire that prevents starting an auto trans engine in P, D, R and 2 - otherwise the engine will not start!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:26:40 AM by Robert » Logged

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »

Is the end of an Auto crank machined to take the bearing ?   Probably but it would be worth looking if any one has one laying around.

Roger.........

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »

... and at the end of all that you'll probably get 23mpg so unless you do a lot of mileage it will take a long time to recoup your costs. 

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
TOAD

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »

... and at the end of all that you'll probably get 23mpg so unless you do a lot of mileage it will take a long time to recoup your costs. 

Hi Theo, I was thinking much the same.  But if the shell is good  Grin and you are a fun driver, it will make the car more usable, I'm thinking.   If its a second car you can collect the parts over time, maybe even a Manuel engine and box together.   The crank can be machined for the bearing if required.

A tip,  see if you can get some 1600 twin cam pistons for the 2.0 Ltr  raises the compressions with out having to play around.  Wink

farranwilliam

I am retired, enoying the classic car Fraternity

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

I very much appreciate all of the replys to my query. I removed a two litre engine from an automatic 132 about 1980 and the end of the crankshaft was already suitable to fit the pilot bearing in it
and I fitted it without any difficulty in a 131 with manual gearbox, and we had many happy and hairy tours in it. I was already told by an elderly mechanic friend that the improvement in MPG would be very little.   Does anybody know if a modern 1.6 engine with fuel injection can
be fitted to a mirafiori, I have heard many differing opinions about the possibility of success.

At present I have Mirafiori Mk2 Automatic, Ritmo S85 Cabrio, Ritmo 105 TC, Fiat X1/9 1.5,  Kadett D 1.2,
TOAD

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »

If your going to mess with injection, why not do the  2ltr after all the 16v is supposed to get better than 30mpg so an eight valve should be better I would have thought.

n14elx

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »

If you really want to raise the compression ratio pistons out of the 1800 (I think) Lancia Prizma are the best they are higher domed than the Fiat 1600TC but fit the same bore and they work very well. Its what I had fitted to WLA917X when she was mine also had the head and block skimmed which worked well with the wild cams and a pair of 40's and had no mechanical issues even long term.
hammerbeirne

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

Is it not all about the joy of driving these old car and not worrying about the cost of fuel 131s were never easy on fuel in the first place
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.