Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:20:22 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  2000 Tc engine doesn't run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2000 Tc engine doesn't run  (Read 66918 times)
Henk

« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »

Are there any signs of floating ("verzuipen"in dutch) the engine after trying to start for a longer time?
(Wet plugs..) if not, did you check the fuel pump? maybe petrol supply is not continously due to a bad fuel pump..?
(I know, it doesn't really explain the back fire issue)
If it is not belt timing or fuel related I guess it must be something with the ignition.
is this electronic or with the old fasion breaker points?

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
mirafiori76

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

Fuel is almost new. Took it from the same car which provided all the parts on top of the engine block. The only thing I didn't swap is the block. And now I've changed the exhaust back to standard. Every other part is either new or taken from the donor car. Like I said, that one always fired. Even in the past,after 3 years when it was left alone in my garage.
So, fuel is there and the spark is in time. Belt timing is ok, carburetors are the best, ignition is like new and it's on time.
Indeed, there is nothing else.
So why does it fire back in the carburetors and when I turn the ignition too far, in the exhaust? Why is there nothing in between? No life sign whatsoever.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
W.ARGENTA

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »

ples .. chek the starter ples your strarter working in the rong side that couse a bake fire in the carberator ..
mirafiori76

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »

Discussed the starter motor already. It's still the original one and it turns the right way. Thanks

curt

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2010, 06:55:10 PM »

Now were there -got to go out -back later -with a theory

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
curt

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

So why does it fire back in the carburetors and when I turn the ignition too far, in the exhaust? Why is there nothing in between? No life sign whatsoever.

Its called lack of oxygen to fire in the cylinders-when the valves are semi open more air is allowed in and combustion occurs -this combustion is a weak air/fuel mix hence the 'banging' from carb or exhaust - a weak mixture is providing this effect- you have a leak on the induction side -brake servo etc. or gaskets .
block off all vac intakes from the carb side -i.e. brake servo -filter trails -dizzy if it has one -make it suck everything through the carbs- and see how it goes .If as you say everything else is 100% it must be the problem -Or if the cars insured -Torch it  Grin Grin

Just kidding -really  Grin

Solihull West Midlands
mirafiori76

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »

Welll...I thought of that one...torching I mean Cheesy But I can't depart from it. Don't know why. Could be because it's a 131. Wink
The coughing from the carburetors and the farting Wink Cheesy from the exhaust only occurs when I turn the ignition too far. In between there's the real ignition point.
I put new gaskets between the carbs, inlet manifold and cylinder head after cleaning all surfaces. I know thats important after being a mechanic for all those years.
The brake servo is only connected to one cylinder so it should fire from at least 3 others. Even when spark plugs or cables are broken it should fire from the others. 1 cylinder should show life or maybe 2. But nothing happens in the firing area. That's what makes it so strange.
Even if the ignition is too late the engine should fire. It would run bad but it would.

curt

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2010, 07:04:09 AM »

Is the ignition static on turn over ?? have you checked with a strobe light -just asking to rule out other possibilitys.As you say one way it coughs-other way it farts-so ignition must be right. And cams are right and compression is right -only fueling is left . Have you tried throwing neat new fuel down the throats ?
We are missing something simple -i would still block off the brake servo tho.and all vac lines from the carbs/manifolds. It doesnt make any sense -how far are you from schipol airport  Grin Grin

Solihull West Midlands
131racing

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »

hello change the electonic dizzy and recheck the timing again when piston 1 is up and the timing pulleys are with the mark
mirafiori76

« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »

I had some spare moments tonight so I decided to try again.
Changed coil again, changed 2 cables, changed dizzy again, even try a boost with pure alcohol in the carbs. Still nothing.
Then I thought: what the h..l, let's change cables 1-4 and 2-3 again. And whatta you know? Life!!! A hick up. Turned the dizzy and the engine fired! Not smoothly, but it runs.
Set ignition point to 10 degrees and it was already better. What a lovely noise from the four trumpets after 4 years of nothing.
Total score: 3 coils apparently broken, 3 dizzy's apparently broken and a lot of cables not doing what they're supposed to do. And last but not least 4!!!!! ignition caps which seem to have the numbers wrong. Cos' 1 is 4 now and 2 is 3. But I don't care.
Tomorrow I'll sort the cables out and will adjust the carburetors for it doesn't run smoothly. Didn't stop me from driving around the block. It's runs terribly with an engine that's not right yet and with brakes which haven't done anything the last four years....but, what a ride!!!

mirafiori76

« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

AAAH, I am so happy I forget to thank everybody for their support. Thanks guys! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

curt

« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »

Damn- There goes my visit to Holland  Grin Grin
Take the dizzy out out - turn end gear180 degrees-put back in -change leads round - and presto -the right numbers on the right leads
Got there in the end - never trust marks and numbers -or coils-or caps-or anything else  Grin Grin
I bet your one happy bunny  Grin Grin

Cheers

Curt

Solihull West Midlands
mirafiori76

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »

Hi Curt,

Man, I'm so happy. Yes, tomorrow I shall take the dizzy out and turn it around. Then adjust the carburetors for smooth running. After that  a look at the brakes, the heater motor and fix the roof cloth. It's come loose.
Thanks.

Henk

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »

He Mike, cogratulations!
These hard to find problems are always obvious and easy to explain...
but only after they are  found and solved.
that's the beauty of trouble shooting, I guess.
If any plans to drive her to nijmegen, drop by

cheers henk

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
mirafiori76

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »

Thanks Henk,

Maybe I will after I'm finished with the car. Need a lot to do. And it's not even registered yet, no plates. First setting the engine right, then brakes and electronics, fix the roof cloth. But that's all fine cause now I have a running car finally. Let's hope it still runs tomorrow... Wink

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.