Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:33:44 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Unleaded fuel conversion in 131
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unleaded fuel conversion in 131  (Read 2963 times)
cooter131

/1/3/1/

« on: December 03, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »

Hello all,

I came up with a question that might sound funny, so please be kind with me Roll Eyes

I do not know how the situation is in different parts of the world today, but in Greece you can still find Super LRP fuel... (and unleaded, of course Smiley)
I think that the Super does not actually contain lead the way we used to know it, but some kind of substitute.

I was wondering if I can use unleaded fuel in my 131?
Some say that it is not a problem and others do not suggest it.

Are any conversions necessary for use of unleaded fuel?

What kind of fuel do you use, and what do you prefer?

Sorry for the numerous questions...

George K.
Athens, Greece

131 Special '77 (1300cc) 1977-1999
131 Special '76 (1600cc) 2007- . . .
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »

I'd say you're fine to run with unleaded but as you've already said, most people will disagree with me.

Lead was used in petrol to increase the octane rating but also and mainly to act as a lubricant for the valve seat and stop valve seat recession. But 'modern' classics (if I may use that expression  Undecided) like the Fiat 131 have an aluminium cylinder head and because aluminium is too soft they have hardened valve seat inserts. Some people will tell you that the hardened inserts are not hard enough but even though there's some truth in that it will take many tens of thousands of miles before there's any adverse effect. So why pay to have your valve inserts replaced now if you can drive for 100,000 KM before you have to change them?

The reduced octane rating is your other problem. Your 131 was designed to run on 97 octane fuel or even higher while unleaded fuel has a lower octane rating (95 in the UK). Using lower octane fuel in your 131 may cause pre-detonation or 'pinking' and if you get that then you should reduce your ignition timing. Normally a 131 should be set to 10 degrees BTDC so try reducing it to 8 or 7 degrees but avoid going below 5 degrees as performance will be reduced a lot. You can also use 'Super unleaded' fuel which has a higher octane rating or use an 'octane booster' additive every time you fill up. Shell in the UK now have 99 octane Super Unleaded fuel and the 131 really likes that fuel!  Cheesy

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.