Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 06:31:12 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Fiat 131 Racing air horn
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fiat 131 Racing air horn  (Read 16959 times)
MarkoH

« on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:36 PM »

Hi guys!

I have a problem and now I need some help.

In the engine bay there is a plastic plate where the compessor of the air horn is installed. The plastic plate is installed next to the radiator (left side). Now I am wondering that what is the right place for the horns? In the horn package there is two horns - a shorter one and taller one.

If someone can send me a picture of correct installation of the horns I would be really happy. Thanks in advance.

Marko

Marko Hannula
Mynamaki, Finland

Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130 TC -86
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth -86
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »

Hi MARKO - This is my installation - I think the brackets may be different on my car but the location matches what I can see from Fiat and roadtest material that I have. Hope that helps.  Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »

Yes, other than the wrong pipe between compressor and horn  Grin Grin Grin Wink Kevin's installation seems right. But the 131 air horns are single trumpet while you claim to have two Marko  Huh And you also seem to have a large metal bracket installed to the inner wing; what is that for?  Regulations in certain countries meant the cars had different horns for different countries. Air horns were not allowed in certain places and in France cars had to have a 'town' horn (not so loud) and a louder 'out of town' horn. Where only one horn was fitted to cars destined for France it had to be the quieter 'town' horn.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »

Yes, other than the wrong pipe between compressor and horn  Grin Grin Grin Wink Kevin's installation seems right. 

Do you really mean "non-standard" or perhaps "upgraded"..? Smiley Wink

That's interesting on the twin horn story Theo - The only car that I knew that had the dual horn system (which makes total sense to me ) was the Fiat 130. Is it still a requirement in France or has it fallen into disuse..?

Also the point about single or twin trumpets, they are twin horns but with a split in the middle for the different tones..maybe that is what Marko meant although if I had to guess ...and looking at that metal bracket, I'd plump for a bespoke Finnish specification, like the headlamp washers.

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
sid131

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »

Kevin if you really want headlamp washers get some from a scrapped gen 6 celica they are a nice size
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »

I'll have to go with "non-standard" as that doesn't look like an "upgrade"  Grin  The air horns on the 131 are connected to the compressor with the green-coloured see-through CAVIS fuel hose. Your hose looks too 'soft' so it probably 'gives' under the compressor pressure and your horn is probably at least 0.1db quieter than a standard installation  Grin Grin Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirko131

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »

Yes, other than the wrong pipe between compressor and horn  Grin Grin Grin Wink Kevin's installation seems right. But the 131 air horns are single trumpet while you claim to have two Marko  Huh And you also seem to have a large metal bracket installed to the inner wing; what is that for?  Regulations in certain countries meant the cars had different horns for different countries. Air horns were not allowed in certain places and in France cars had to have a 'town' horn (not so loud) and a louder 'out of town' horn. Where only one horn was fitted to cars destined for France it had to be the quieter 'town' horn.

Thotos may be  right, my car is 100% French and I have two horns :

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:46:23 PM by mirko131 » Logged

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »

Thotos may be  right,

I am always right  Wink Grin Grin Grin Grin (except for when I am not  Undecided )

How to you change from 'town' to 'loud' horn? Is there a change-over switch somewhere?

Kevin, I believe this French 'feature' has now gone the way of the French amber lights. The UK is not the only place that looses its tradition to the EU  Embarrassed

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirko131

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »

no, no switch on the compressor  Undecided

MarkoH

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »

Thank you for your help guys. Before 1980 Finnish Racings has had exactly the same installation type than shown in Mirko131's picture. I visited at my grandmom's house where I am storing one of my cars, the 1978 model. It had exactly the same "factory installation".

Since 1980 head lamp washers has been mandatory here in Finland. That has caused some work at the importer because the air horn comperssor didn't fit to its place anymore - the place was taken by the head lamp washer tank.

So, here you can see the solution I ended up. After few phone calls I managed to find out that the installation place for horns was quite different almost every Racing. It was depending who made the changes at the importer.

EDIT: As I told you before, the compressor was already installed to this plastic plate. I just couldn't find the place for the horns....

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:40:43 PM by MarkoH » Logged

Marko Hannula
Mynamaki, Finland

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »

So now we know what the bracket in the inner wing is for on your car  Wink  That's  a very big tank for the headlamp washer  Shocked It looks at least three times bigger than the windscreen washer tank.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
MarkoH

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:52 PM »

I was wrong again like usually. There is "single horn" models also here in Finland. Take a look at this - it is from my 1982 Racing:

Marko Hannula
Mynamaki, Finland

kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »

I'll have to go with "non-standard" as that doesn't look like an "upgrade"  Grin  The air horns on the 131 are connected to the compressor with the green-coloured see-through CAVIS fuel hose. Your hose looks too 'soft' so it probably 'gives' under the compressor pressure and your horn is probably at least 0.1db quieter than a standard installation  Grin Grin Grin

Theo - You are right - The horn is not at the usual hooligan levels of loudness that I expected - Thanks for the tip - I'll look to replace the hose with a firmer version - Cheers.  Smiley

I'm also amazed at the size of the headlight washer tank on the Finnish spec car. I wonder are the blue trumpets made by Flamm as well...?

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
MarkoH

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »

I'm also amazed at the size of the headlight washer tank on the Finnish spec car. I wonder are the blue trumpets made by Flamm as well...?

The tank is BIG and it is equipped with a high pressure pump. The hose from the pump to the washers has 12 mm inner diameter...  Shocked

The blue trumpets are not made by FIAMM. The manufacturer is some other Italian company which I can't remember right now. I'll chech tomorrow if you are interested.

Marko Hannula
Mynamaki, Finland

kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »

I doubt if the washer bottle is heated to prevent freezing but I guess you use anti-freeze to counter that - How about the mozzles though - Do they freeze up..? Smiley

Don't worry about the manufacturer's name Marko - I was just wondering if the cars left Fiat Italy with that blue twin air horn system for markets that required them (eg Finland and France to name two), rather than being fitted by the individual importers.  Huh

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.