Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:40:10 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Hello again, and auto to manual swap
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello again, and auto to manual swap  (Read 5668 times)
zagato78

« on: January 17, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »

Hello all, been away for a long time.  I'm looking at picking up a 131 again(only car I've ever regretted selling).   The new car is an auto and that won't do.   So, on to the question at hand.   I have a 131 manual gearbox, I will need a pedal assembly, gear lever cover console.   What am I forgetting?

Electrically, I will have to ground the park position.  There is most likely a coolant line re-rout from the tranny cooler.

Do I need a different flywheel or is that the same across the versions?

Please feel free to add anything I've missed.  Thanks everyone, really excited about having a 131 again!

Z

08 Subaru Sti
78 Lancia Beta Coupe
95 Toyota Tacoma (286k miles!)
mirafiori76

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »

Hi Zagato,

You will need a lot more: fly wheel, clutch, different radiator, gas cable, gearbox cover and indeed tunnel cover. And lots of small parts.
May i ask why you want to change the automatic set-up? There are not many left, you know? Is it broken or something?

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
c.a.c131

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »

Hi Zagato,

You will need a lot more: fly wheel, clutch, different radiator, gas cable, gearbox cover and indeed tunnel cover. And lots of small parts.
May i ask why you want to change the automatic set-up? There are not many left, you know? Is it broken or something?

I like a automatic but that 3 speed GM thing that Fiat used is one of the worst automatic gearboxs ever made Angry I drove a good few 1000's miles in my 131 Panorama 1600 OHC Automatic, no power at all ! I have a 1000cc mini automatic that would eat it off the road power wise. The other thing is when it was running right you would not get 20 MPG Shocked I have owned lots of cars with 2.0 up to 3.0 engines auto's & manual's and the 131 1600 automatic was the worst on fuel. The gear change is not nice at all too Sad

I did have a 1977 2.0 alfa GTV 105 that had a 3 speed ZF auto box in it and it had a lot of power and was a lot better on fuel then the 131 auto. I don't mind a car that is hard on fuel but the auto box in a 131 makes it very under powered and makes it not a nice car to drive Sad

Next time I drive my Panorama it will have a TC engine in it and a manual box.

Best thing to do is get a rotten 131 and it will have all the part that you need, to swap from auto to manual Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:42:49 PM by c.a.c131 » Logged

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
mirafiori76

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:25 PM »

You're probably right. The GM automatic is one of the worst thing Fiat ever used. I once had a 132 and an Argenta with the same set-up. The 132 was ok, wonderfull to drive. The Argenta was hell. Took that box out and put it in my Panorama. I never should have done that.

Best thing for you to do is buy a rotten Supermirafiori indeed, and take all the parts out en put it in your car. You probably fancy a series 3 because of it's 2-litre engine. There are plenty around. Good luck. Wink

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »

Jn addition to Mike's list you'll need a pilot bearing for the engine rear end, I assume. And grounding the park position is really essential, as you already mentioned.

My car came off the line as a 1600 Automatic, it was fitted with all parts from a Sport long before I purchased it; but these two things I do remember as essential.

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
zagato78

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »

thank you for the responses.    to answer some of the questions, I don't like autos, in anything.   My old 131 was one of the most engaging drives I've ever experienced.  Gearing and power band were mated perfectly.  I'd like to have that drive again.   The other component in this is that I've not come across another 131 since I sold mine.    I live the middle of the country and we salt our roads heavily.   If its isn't a muscle car, most weren't saved.

If someone has a 2 door manual 131 near Missouri, I'd be willing to discuss!   Smiley

Another question comes to mind, how do you balance a flywheel and crank with it in the car?  Or does the flywheel change necessitate pulling the crank for balancing?

Thanks!

Z

08 Subaru Sti
78 Lancia Beta Coupe
95 Toyota Tacoma (286k miles!)
Tas131

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »

Another question comes to mind, how do you balance a flywheel and crank with it in the car?  Or does the flywheel change necessitate pulling the crank for balancing?

Never done it, never needed to. Ideally the crank, flywheel and clutch cover get balanced together, the flywheel and clutch can be balanced without the crank. Unless you intend spending most of your time in excess of 6K/rpm, balancing everything is nice, not essential.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
williefiat

Fiat fun

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »

Hi All.
Every time this Discussion comes up i feel like Crying Sad.My first 131 i drove was automatic a Twin cam it said
1600cc on book but not quiet sure what was under the bonnet Wink.The only reason i sold it was because of
fuel economy and i was doing big miles at the time.So sorry i ever sold it Cry Cry.
    Willie.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.