Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:52:53 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Getting Ready for the 3MA (2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting Ready for the 3MA (2)  (Read 14288 times)
curt

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »

hiya kev
As Theo said -if you need to-get the bolts chromed-Chrome is harder than steel you wont damage them with a wheel brace !!!Cheap chrome plate on the other hand  Huh Huh

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:23:31 AM »

Hi Theo - Welcome back from your other Fiat group themed weekend!

I don't think the owners of the Last True Lancia will take very kindly to the "Fiat group" comment!  Grin

But coming back to Fiats and their bolts, I once was silly enough to forget to tighten the wheel bolts on my car (Dudley - Silver 131 Sport) after doing some work. I was even sillier in assuming the noise that eventually started coming from the back of the car was the differential (the car was already on its third diff!!) and didn't suspect the wheel bolts. I realised the problem was with the bolts when the wheel came off!  Shocked (luckily at very slow speed round a corner). The wheel was damaged (centre support bracket broke off its welds) and all but one of the bolts were lost. There was damage to the single remaining bolt but no damage to the drum or rear hub threads. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:58:00 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 06:25:45 AM »

Sorry about my late joining to this thread.

Kev - what can I say? I'm sorry that you've had such difficulties with your replacement bolts.? Cry

Like Theo, I have never heard of the hub threads stripping on a 131. The threads on the chrome bolts must be amazingly hard if they can do this! Shocked I doubt very much that you'll need new drums either, as the drums do not have a thread in the holes through which the bolts pass. These should be fine. Grin

At least you can now try to get this sorted out before 3MA.

Bit clean those alloys though aren't they?? Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:42:00 PM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »

Kevin, do you know that you can get "thread repairers"? If the threads in your hubs are only slightly damaged and not fully stripped, then you may be able to repair the threads. Having said that, it looks in the photo of the bolt (unfortunately out of focus - try using Macro facility next time  Roll Eyes  Grin ) that the thread is stripped. But it also seems as if it's only at the tip of the bolt so are you sure the bolts are long enough for your alloys?

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:15 PM »

The car was collected this morning by Mark next door (who has a recovery truck... hmm - I wonder could we entice him to join us on 3MA!). Better not tempt fate - I'm sure everyone is fettling like mad and that we will have the most reliable as well as the maximum group of 131s!? Grin

The replacement hub and 16 old Fiat bolts were solemnly handed over with a vivid description of how severe the bends on the Healy pass are and that I'd prefer to make it all the way around with 4 wheels still on my wagon.? Wink

Rang Dermot at lunch time and in between mouthfuls of his food he communicated that all was well - Hub fitted fine, all other bolts removed and sockets checked and old Fiat bolts refitted - No more problems hopefully.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thats 3 jobs (brakes, NCT & wheels) out of the way - Body work left!

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
chris131

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 09:58:56 PM »

Hi, kev I seen 2 front suspensions for 131 in the shed today. They were hubs complete with shocks. springs, top mounts, discs, calipers and pads etc. So I'll get them out this week and try screwing bolts into them to see that they're ok, then I'll just have the job of stripping them.

Oh - my abarth rep went away 2weeks ago today to get prepared for painting. All the panels are getting lined up properly and the vinyl roof is being removed aswell, so hopefully I'll have it back soon to send to my painter. Not sure of what to do colour wise, was toying with the idea of painting it white the same as willy's, but I think black (original colour) would be alot easier and make a better job - so I reckon black it is. I'll email you pics when it comes back and maybe you could post them on the forum.

Hope all is well - do keep in touch.

chris
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »

Thanks Chris - My mate David is coming down to Killarney in May so if you can get them to him before then that would be great - Assuming you still have that reason to visit Banbridge!!? Grin

How much do you want for the hubs?

Good news on the Abarth replica - I'm with you where black is concerned. Are you taking before, during and after pics?

If you like I can post some of the photos that I already have from you as a taster - Let me know if you want this done.

Oh yeah - Can we expect either you or your Dad in Killarney in the grey Sport? It would great to have you and that car there. Mike from Dunleer is coming so you could travel in convoy!? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
chris131

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »

Hi kev, yeah you can post what pics you have. I have lots of pics before, and I'm hoping my friend will take pics for me as he's preparing the car. I also have lots of pics of me changing the front suspension as I totally replaced everything front suspension wise.

My dad is definately not going so the grey 131 sport won't be there. However I may travel down with Willy Carrick in his white 131. I'll have to wait and se what the money situation is like, as I've spent it all on the black car!

Yes I can drop them off in banbridge providing there in good nic. I'll take a look at them first and keep you updated later in the week.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 06:57:36 PM »

Update on my preps...

Bodywork complete - See other thread.

Tax disc in place (?152 for 3 months!!? ?Shocked)

Last Valet almost complete - ready for the Irish weather and roads to destroy again? Roll Eyes

Last job is to sort out my wheel nuts. If you remember I was having a problem with chrome wheel bolts which stripped the thread from my wheel hub. The hub has been replaced (loaned by a kind fellow 131 fan) and longer wheel studs are being sourced. I was initially very lucky to find 16 of the wheel bolts fitted to Irish Sports when new but the heads are a lot smaller and I'm a bit worried by rounding if the wrench slips off. Some consultation with the local Fiat dealer has established that Tempra wheel nuts for alloys give additional length (always a benefit I'm told) with a bigger head (I guess that could also be another benefit if I think about it!!) Wink. They will be ordered on Monday to arrive by Tuesday hopefully.

Fingers crossed then that nothing else goes wrong and I will ready to meet the UK convoy on Thursday afternoon to guide it through Limerick city.? Grin

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 07:19:35 PM »

New problem ............although not terminal.

My front indicators (and side repeat lights) as well as front parkings lights have stopped working. The rear indicators and parking lights including number plates illuminators are all working perfectly well.

In fact when I put on side lights and hazard warning everything at the back is working as it should with nothing at front/wings!

It cant be a fuse as I'd have thought that all of the indicators are on the same circuit - Although I checked and they all seem ok.

I can still hear a clicking around the dash area but the dash indicator light for indicators only works for the hazard button but not when the indicator stalk is pulled.? Roll Eyes

I'm a bit puzzled - Has anyone seen a problem like this before or have any suggestions?? Huh

Cheers

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.