Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:17:18 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  GM to 'wind down' Saab business
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GM to 'wind down' Saab business  (Read 3757 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« on: December 18, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »

Not good news http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8421007.stm  Cry

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »

This is a very sad state of affairs for the noble car maker. Cry It is very sad when a huge conglomerate like GM decide to close a part of it's business simply for economic reasons, but even more so when that company has such a pioneering and historic past.

The old V4s and two-stroke rally cars of the 60's and early 70's were World beating. The 900 Turbo was a first and I for one always wanted one when I was a lad.

My Dad had a 1982 Y-reg 900 2.0i GLE 4 door back in about 1984/5 which was quirky but never let us down. I remember him putting more than 100k miles in it in the five years he had it, and it was the first of his cars his ever let me drive - I'd always had to use my Mum's until then. Roll Eyes Front wheel hand brake, starter/ignition key between the front seats on the floor, electric front windows, power steering, sunroof and alloy wheel trims.  Grin It was very advanced for it time, and the most luxurious car my Dad had ever owned.  Cool It was metallic brown too, with brown velour - lovely Cheesy Grin

Saab lost their way IMHO when they became part of GM, and I was never really interested in them when I learned that they shared the Vectra platform. Still....as a marque I will miss them. One step closer to GM and Ford being the only remaining car manufacturers in the World. Undecided How terrible is that thought Angry Roll Eyes

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

Very sad news, but almost 10 years loosing money year after year takes it's toll.
Saab did brilliant things in the past, but that past is long history. But for sure I will miss the make as I really like 96's and those great ducktails!

Good luck to everybody who works for or with Saab.

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:01:20 AM »

I was very sad learning this news.

I do admit though I would not buy a Saab based on Opel Astra chassis.

So to me Saab was done years ago when it was sold to GM.

Same about Volvo ...

My two favorite European car makers went down the drain.

As driving a French or German car is not an option , and British cars are not really sold in Europe.  So  I am left only with one car to have : Subaru Legacy wagon (STI trim with 3.2 liter  petrol fed boxer , practically WRC suspension , braking system and sequential gearbox is the only car worth buying new to drive for years. 

What happened to the ambitious European car makers?  Or are the cars only sold to car idiots with no knowledge no appreciation for engineering, style , performance.

Since they started making diesel Jags and SUV's anything is possible.

The automotive world is going to the dogs ...   

Miro

PS: The German cars are no more German made as most of the components are made in China. In a decade or so we will all drive China made cars under Chinese maruqes of Saab, Volvo, and many others , and if we are not smart we will also be members of the Chinese Communist Party..

Chine expansion and default of traditional Euro Atlantic  economy is scary indeed.

So who will win the cold war : the communists of the democrats ?

Whet do you think ?         

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
Tas131

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:35:58 AM »

So who will win the cold war : the communists or the democrats ?     

It's already lost! China owns the yanks lock, stock and barrel. Iraq and Afghanistan are costing them trillions and all the republicans did was lower taxes and remove constraints from the corporate elite.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.