Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:45:17 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Master cylinder recall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Master cylinder recall  (Read 3296 times)
Crazypierre

« on: May 01, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »

Hi
While looking for a Master cylinder for my 131, I came across this recall. Interesting....maybe that's why mine is not working as it should.  Certainly the symptoms they describe here are similar to mine. Maybe I'll contact my local Fiat dealer and see if they'll do it free of charge even after 30 years! Now that WOULD be a result.
Pete

1975 Fiat 131 Recall
Item Affected: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER
Date Announced: 10/12/1979

Description of Recall:
ON THE INVOLVED VEHICLES, THE REAR RUBBER SEAL OF THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER MAY PREMATURELY WEAR. ABNORMAL AIR INFILTRATION INTO THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM WOULD RESULT, CAUSING SELF-BLEEDING DIFFICULTY. ALSO, LONGER BRAKE PEDAL TRAVEL WOULD BE EXPERIENCED AND COULD LEAD TO PARTIAL OR TOTAL LOSS OF ACTION ON THE FRONT END BRAKES.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALER WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AND BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR AND INSTALL A NEW TYPE OF BRAKE LEVEL WARNING INDICATOR, WITHOUT CHARGE.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »

Things is, you're 131 isn't a 1975 model. Don't think it would apply to you.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
sid131

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:57:07 PM »

bit like "ashes to ashes" ?
go back in time
jseabolt

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »

HA! Seems like every MC I install on a Fiat starts leaking externally after 3 years. Just as the recall says, the real seal fails. But the brakes seem to work OK, just makes a mess.

The MC on my Yugo right now is leaking a bit. It's been on there for about 4 years and 5K miles.

I have salvaged several MCs by dismantling them, cleaning the bore/seals,  and rearraging the seals. I found that lubricating everything with DOW Corning's O-ring and valve lubricate works well. It's a silicone lubricant. I tested it to see if it would dissolve in brake fluid and it doesn't. This was DOT3 fluid. I don't know about silicone brake fluid.

I'm not sure if these MCs are not being lubricated from the factory and that's what's causing the rear seals to start leaking or what.

1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (302 automatic)
1980 Fiat 131 Brava  (2000 automatic)
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (2000 turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601
2003 Subaru Baja
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.