Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:03:59 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  2000 Tc engine doesn't run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2000 Tc engine doesn't run  (Read 66618 times)
alan.acs

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »

Are you getting  spark
(put spark plug on an earthed part of engine and turn the engine on the starter and watch for spark)
If no spark add 12 volts direct to coil and do the same again.
If you are getting spark loosen the distributor nut and get some one to start the engine while you swing the distributor if the thing coughs/spits/farts its igniting the fuel at the wrong time you then have a timing problem.

My bet is the distributor is out, (done this loads of times myself)

Also a thing i use to diagnose fuel problems is a tin of easy start.

131R

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 06:12:08 AM »

Are you sure your starter motor is turning in the right direction?

Willem
Johannesburg South Africa
Fiat 131 Racing (1979)   Fiat 131 Race Car (1978)  Fiat 128 Bakkie (ldv 1978)
Fiat Abarth Strada 130TC (1985)  Subaru WRX (2007)
curt

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »

So if youve checked everything again and again-and the head,ignition components and carb has been tested and guaranteed to work on another engine-and you are absolutley sure - then it has to be something in the car your working on i.e. electrical feeds-i presume youve thrown some neat fuel down its throat and tried it and checked all the electrical feeds-a compression test has shown good compression. All the timing is correct for cams and dizzy -so why will this animal not start ?? All i can now think of as this is a different car-is that -and this is a very long shot -that the exhaust has a blockage somewhere that is causing huge back pressure on starting.Back pressure can cause spitting out of the carbs and neat fuel gathering at the choke point can cause the popping in the pipe-bit like the old banana trick -But that really is grabbing for straws !

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
djape1977

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »

electrics and only electrics.

get a bigger hammer!
curt

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »

So here we have a car that started-then was difficult to start -then gave up all together-in other words a problem that has crept on slowly over time and now whatever the problem is has completely failed.The only thing that fails over time is capacitance in electronic devices i,e, capacitors themselves in a circuit (electronic ignition ) or the evil one corrosion !!
We all know this problem with the main fuse box and earthing points on a 131-again i guess youve checked but who knows ! have you wired the coil on directly and removed any suppressors in the circuit ?As you know the ignition barrel itself can give lots of problems and the high feed from the starter solenoid (if fitted). Also i would earth the coil directly to the battery as well for testing purposes-or do you physically see a strong spark ?
Errm just thought -you have put fresh fuel in this havent you ?
Wish I was there with you to sort this out - i love a challenge

Just cos you hear or see a flash from the exhaust doesnt rule out the blockage

loosen the manifold or downpipes to be sure but keep an extinguisher handy  Grin Grin If at first you dont suceed try try again  Grin Grin

Solihull West Midlands
curt

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »

Keep in touch Mike - this one is really making my pants itch as well  Grin Grin Grin

Solihull West Midlands
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »

The blocked exhaust suggestion is not such a far fetched idea. I saw a Mercedes once that wouldn't run and it turned out it was a blocked exhaust. Apparently the baffles in the rear  silencer had collapsed and were blocking the exhaust. This is unlikely to happen with a Fiat straight-through exhaust silencer but I suppose it could happen.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
curt

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 08:09:40 PM »

Especially if someone has stuffed a banana up the tailpipe  Grin Grin

Oh the tricks of years gone by-does anyone still do this  Grin Grin

Solihull West Midlands
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »

I thought it was potatoes that got shoved up exhaust pipes  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
djape1977

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »

take a piece of wire and make a direct connection between battery  - (negative) and ignition unit -
also, take a thick wire and make a direct ground between engine head and - on the battery

get a bigger hammer!
djape1977

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:31 PM »

don't get me wrong, i'm just trying to pass on my experience on the simillar problem.
i swapped the engine in my car, put on it intake, carb and ignition that was in the car before swap and when i fired it up it would just backfire trough carb. since i run bi-fuel system (petrol and LPG) i tried both fuels and had the same simptoms. this directed me to electrics as the source of a problem. i checked for spark - it was there. i swapped the electronic ignition unit for a new one and nothing. swapped sparkplugs and cables - nothing. swapped distributor for a new one - nothing. swapped whole engine head for one from engine that i took out of the car - nothing. went to a shop and bought a new ignition coil and installed it - nothing. took ignition coil from a friends yugo that he drove that day and thamn thing fired up instantly.

get a bigger hammer!
david

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »

Re the distributor, is it a marelli electronic ignition type as the insulation on the two wires that go to the pickup inside the distributor are usually perished with age and they can short and misfire but having said that I have seen these really bad but they still run but misfire.
curt

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 07:56:05 AM »

Any further forward with this  Huh  Grin

Solihull West Midlands
mirafiori76

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »

Hi Curt,

No, I'm afraid. Been to busy with my company. Couldn't find the time yet. Next to that I had to fix my Mercedes 280 TE for a tour here in my hometown.
Perhaps next week. I'll keep you informed.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
mirafiori76

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »

Well there I was, giving it another go today. Changed coil again...no firing. Exchanged cables...nothing. Took a spark plug out and started the engine...beautiful sparks but no firing of the engine. Checked if piston 1 was in upper position...it was.
So-o-o-o, new suggestions, please.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.