Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:52:51 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  5 speed gearbox input shaft bearing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 speed gearbox input shaft bearing  (Read 3628 times)
keith m 131

« on: July 02, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »

Hi all,

Has anyone got or can they point me in the direction of a book or PDF file that show the various stages of stripping and rebuilding the 5 speed manual gearbox, I have what appears to be a noisy input shaft bearing which I want to replace but I would like to have something a bit better than Haynes which is as much use as a chocolate fire guard. I was given some info from the fiat spider site but it is a different gearbox to mine, I think it is for a 124 but it looks completely different. Just wanted to read up on the process before I open the box. I

Thanks for any help in advance

Keith
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »

In case it's of interest, when I blow one of the later or 131 5 speed boxes, it was the layshaft bearing that fell to bits as I recall, dropping the layshaft away and out of mesh from the main shaft.  I think it was mainly the front one.

Roger.......

Toad as a road car..... Grin

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
keith m 131

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

Hi Roger,

That helpfull to know, everything in the box works fine, smooth gear changes with no grinding or whinning etc.
 I had new bearings fitted 18 months ago but I have realised that the engine and box were not mounted level (in morris traveller) and the gearbox was approx 20mm lower at the rear so the oil would have been running to the back of the box. I know that these boxes are splash lubricated but that far out of level may have starved the front bearings of oil which includes the layshaft bearing you describe. Engine and box all mounted level now so just gotta sort the bearing(s) and having a detailed manual would help.

Regards

keith
keith m 131

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »

Hi all, I have stripped the gearbox and found that there is some slight noise fronm the input shaft bearing, but the play in the shaft is from the roller bearing that joins the input and main shaft, so I will replace both bearings. The remainder of the bearing are sound.

I have read in some information received from the fiat spider site that when fitting the roller bearing that it should be packed with heavy grease. I have noticed that the is a drilling through the gear and shaft to allow oil through the input shaft to allow oil to reach the roller bearing, so can somebody who has rebuilt this gearbox confirm if they did put grease around this bearing? would grease not contaminate the oil?

thanks guys.

keith
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.