Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:08:45 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  webers, solex or delorto? what would be your choice?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: webers, solex or delorto? what would be your choice?  (Read 5484 times)
djape1977

« on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »

weber dcoe 40
solex 40
delorto 40 dhla

which are the best?

get a bigger hammer!
Testament

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:40:57 AM »

weber first just because the parts are easier to get, jets, chokes etc. dellorto second and solex last.

that said they are all good carbs if the are in good condition and you can get the jets etc. to suit your engine.
david

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »

On the strada 130s always thought the solex carbed ones were never as fast.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »

I went with Dellortos. Solexes seemed to be difficult to set up, Webers had (in the UK) more expensive parts. Dellorto spares were easy to get when I needed them to set up the carbs on my 131.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:08:03 PM »

I prefer Webers from Delorto because when Delortos heat up they don't perform as well as my experience on an Alfa Veloce showed me...

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »

djape,

I would go for Solex as they are less prone to wear an self dis-adjdustment and are easy to adjust (with proper set of vacuum gauges.)

As you see how many users that many opinions - go with what is the least expensive and in best quality.

Remember that if you want your engine to run right carbs are most important. There are very few mechanics that know how to rebuild a carb.

Go for an old guy (near 70)  that did only carbs all his life. He has the experience and knowledge of the old carbs. He has all the spare parts as well as has a good machinist who can make the missing worn parts.

My carbs were done by such a guy and they are perfect. The machining was done by guys that do aviation engines. These know what "mean period between failures" means an how to make all parts air tight.

Miro

My carb expert told me that the performance differences between them is not noticeable unless you are trying to beat a world speed record.  What matters is quality of workmanship in rebuilding them and accuracy in tuning them.  Also remember that if your timing is off , you have wrong or bad camshafts, cam wheels and or cams are ill adjusted, wrong plugs , or generally worn engine carbs will not undo all the wrongs. No matter how you set them up the engine will never run as well as it should.

Bottom line go for the best mechanical shape for he carb and make sure all the other elements are fine. You cannot go wrong no matter what carb make /model you choose quality.

Miro   
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:34:19 PM by miro-1980 » Logged

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
djape1977

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »

thanks for advice.
i'll be assembling a fully rebuilt engine and still have to decide on type of cams and carbs.
my "carbs guy" is 60yrs old and he's been preparing engines including carbs for racecars here in serbia and in germany past 35 years so i guess that qualifies him. also, he's a friend of mine and i helped him here and there.

get a bigger hammer!
t66

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

I had twin Solex 40s for my TC for a while, and sourcing parts to the UK was not easy.

This guy was up for reasonably priced shipping , never did buy from him but he was up for fabbing up linkage for mine.

http://www.rmcarburetors.net/

If I did it again I would go weber or dellorto in the UK , as there are still lots of classic car guys able to setup twin carbs.

Good luck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.