Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:29:25 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  The Good and the Bad
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good and the Bad  (Read 3184 times)
Rob 131

« on: December 05, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »

The Forum has been generally been rather quiet recently, so it is perhaps time for us all to do a bit of writing  Grin Shocked. As the title says ?The Good and the Bad? and this refers to cars and ownership experiences. This doesn?t have to be a Mirafiori (The Good), although I suspect for many it probably will be. I suppose the general theme should be how the car exceeded or conversely failed to meet expectations. As an example I?ll go first:

The Bad: In 1997 as a 24 year old who was doing about 25,000 Miles a year mainly with work, I really needed a change from my E30 320i SE that I had owned for over 4 years and had over 130,000 Miles on the clock. I fancied a newer vintage 325i or even an E34 5 Series. The obvious problem was a lack of funds for such a car. Although keeping with the Used (7 Years Old to fit the budget of ?2,500) theme I decided on either an Alfa 164 3 Litre or a Thema Turbo. The Lancia was quickly rejected as they had pulled out of the UK and I was concerned (incorrectly on consideration) over parts availability and future resale (as I didn?t plan to keep the car for long). After consulting with a Mechanic he advised against the 164 on the basis of reliability concerns and the high cost of spares. I then came across a One Elderly Gentleman Owner (Full Service History) Rover 827 Vitesse. It had a body kit, all the equipment, looked the part and thanks to its light weight, manual gearbox and Honda V6 2.7 Litre Engine really shifted.

I found a Rover Mechanic and he changed all of the belts, fluids pads, discs etc and I was off. The first month was great  Cheesy :)and I enjoyed the ?bigger? car experience and major performance increase over the 320i. The next 9 months of our relationship was one of massive unreliability (2 Gear Boxes were the most costly thing, one of the recovery men was an ex-police mechanic and he said gearboxes were a problem and generally they were not good cars). Various Electrical Faults often immobilised the thing, it broke down on the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel (one of its 8 times) and moreover it rusted before your eyes, particularly in the body seams. I was glad to see that one go.

The Good: In 2007 after years of 3 Series ownership (318i SE to 330i Sport), I decided that I needed a new car to replace my 2005 (2 Years Old at the Time) 320i SE. An ex-demonstrator Met Black with matching Leather 520D SE proved to be a superb car with decent performance, handling and most of all a massive increase in comfort and refinement over the 3 series. It also returned over 50 MPG. Circumstances meant I had to part with it prematurely.

Looking forward to other contributions / memories of the ?Good and the Bad? cars that other Forum Members have owned.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »

Out of a bunch of good/bad cars I'll pick a pair of (nearly) twins, two big Opel Diplomat V8, both cars I owned in the late 80s/early 90s.

First the Good: a stock V8, 327 cui (5.4 l), 230 HP, auto trans. I bought it for small money, did a little rust repair and drove it for three years, from summer 89 to 92, with just minor repairs and a remarkable fuel efficiency for a big carburetted V8 (when driven in normal mode it took 10.3 l/100 km = 27 mpg). If you think this is a big, clumsy limo with bad road holding, try to break the record I set in late November '89, flying down the 123 kms (76 miles) from Regensburg to Munich in 38 minutes, which is an average speed of 194 km/h or 120 miles  Cool

And here comes the Bad: nearly the same car, but optically in much better condition, dark blue metallic paint, rust free and equipped with a hot Chevy 350 powerplant, 300 HP on the dyno, with Holley carburator, Crane cams and other gimmicks. This car had the devil inside: either it ran like hell or it sat in the driveway broken. It killed two TH400 transmissions (which are normally bulletproof), broke three rocker arms, had a fuel efficiency next to a Saturn V moon rocket and made me so sick I sold it in 96, after four long years of suffering. (It is still out there somewhere, I was told, but I'm glad I live somewhere else now)

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Rob 131

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »

This article refers to my post today in 'We seek them here.....'

Only Robert responded with his story  Smiley Smiley.

Guys and Girls. Get writing Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.