Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:26:57 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  an expensive wonder
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: an expensive wonder  (Read 10153 times)
mirafiori76

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:05:26 PM »

As a former owner of different mirafiori's through the past 25 years I would like a comment on this one. Surely these cars were badly constructed. And I mean, holes in the wrong places, bad protection and water having free space to do it's damaging work. But 1976, 77 and 78 cars were better made then the ones from 1979. I don't know what happened with Fiat overall, but it was a b-a-a-a-a-d year. Bad metal and very poor paintwork. So not many have survived. Later on Fiat recovered from this little dip by using better material and protection.
It's very possible that a car from 1976, which may have been in a garage for many years and with low milage, could be in an outstanding good condition.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
131 Devon Dave

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »

I think the bigest issue with UK Fiats when they were new was they were imported in bulk but sold very slowly because only mad people bought new ones.....My 1981 sport I bought in 1983 at 2 years old cost me ?2250 at the time. When new Fiat used to put a date stamp on the door grab handle on the drivers with the build date on. Mine had June 1979 the car was registered Nov 81. That car had rust in it in 83 because it was sat around with rust proofing that was rubbish for over 2 years. I suspect most sports registered in the UK after 1979 were all much the same age in real terms.

mirafiori76

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »

Don't ask me why, but they were mostly orange. I had one wich was very badly painted. It was saved however. Was later converted to an Abarth replica in red. Now it is an Altalia replica (made by me) and sold again. But it's still alive.
But my first Racing was silver, also a 79er. I couldn't hold up with the rust. After a year of hard work it finally ended up the scrap heap Cry

131 Devon Dave

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »

The thing with Fiats you love them or hate them. My current one is not the sexiest one but a fun one. A new shape Multipla. Brilliant with the family. At least the rust issues have disapeared.
mirafiori76

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »

I once had a 127 for three years. Wonderful little car. Had great fun with it, but I craved for a 131 Sport again. So I got one again. It's a disease Cheesy Grin

mirafiori76

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »

Lots of 131 in Holland disappeared because of little rust during the time that first, and I don't know what it's called in English, year control was exercised. Mechanics didn't know what was allowed and what wasn't. So minor things became big issues and owners thought that cars weren't safe anymore. It was about the same time I discovered the mirafiori and even though mine was bad, there were a lot on scrap heaps which were better.
If only people would have known how strong these cars were build, they would have more money, time and effort invested and keep them on the road longer. But then again, I think that counts for a lot of countries.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.