Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:39:55 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Can you paint over lacquer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you paint over lacquer  (Read 4600 times)
Crazypierre

« on: August 27, 2015, 06:35:57 AM »

Hi,
As some of you may have read, I've had my Supermirafiori steel wheels refurbished. They've been blasted, powder coated and sprayed and lacquered.

I now need to paint in the black inserts like the original paint scheme.

I was thinking of using Hammerite Smooth and using a paintbrush to get a nice edge. 

But I'm worried the lacquer may react with the Hammerite? Should I use another type of paint?

I don't want to ruin the lovely finish.

Does anyone know?

Thanks for any advice  you can give me.

Regards
Peter
POQ 131

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 05:11:34 AM »

Enamel paints go over lacquer paints.
Not lacquer over enamel.
The lacquer thinner is more volatile & will crinkle up & strip enamel.
Enamel thinner will not harm lacquer paint.
The wheels on my 131 are painted in lacquer with the black painted in with a brush & no problem.
Get a nice fine bristled brush made for edging & get stuck in to it.
O.

O.
Crazypierre

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 05:39:47 AM »

Thanks for your reply.
I've been reading up and they say enamel paint is oil based.  So, will something like Hammerite work? It's oil based too?
Pete
POQ 131

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »

Hammerite is not oil based.  It is one of those weird three in one paints & has a Acetone, Naptha & N-Butyl Acetate Thinner that ought not lift Lacquer.
However the brush can be washed in petrol, which is enamel like.
If in doubt do a test patch in the back side of the wheel centre or just get black enamel paint.
O.

O.
Crazypierre

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »

Hi,
OK, thanks. I just bought some heat resistant enamel paint from Halfords. It's for painting engines so should do the trick.
I'll give it a go.
Will upload some pictures when I'm done.
Pete

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.