Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:42:14 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Fiat 2.0 TC - Rebuilt.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fiat 2.0 TC - Rebuilt.  (Read 13494 times)
t66

« on: June 05, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »

Hello All,

I have spent the last year or so rebuilding a 2.0 TC.

It has been completely stripped to the block, and following Guy Crofts excellent book and my trusty Haynes I have restored the engine.

The head has been completely stripped and degreased.
Valves out / cleaned and de-coked. New valve stem seals.
Ports de-coked.
New manifold Head studs.
Cams removed and de-greased/ no pitting or obvious wear/Re-built with new oil seals.
Cam Boxes - De-greased / Oliways cleared/ Re-built with new leak free gaskets (GC)
The head was within limits so has not been skimmed.
Block steam cleaned bare, thoroughly cleaned out waterways/Oilways.
Crankshaft main shells were clean and have been re-used.
Big end shells were also clean and have been re-used.
Pistons totally cleaned of carbon, new piston rings fitted.
Oil pump removed & stripped / cleaned (within wear limits) Packed with grease now.
The Bores have been flex-honed to dress the small wear line at tdc.
New core plugs
New water pump.
Lots of TLC with the block which is now Hammerite smooth blue.
All new leak free crank oil seals.
New Cylinder head Ribe GC head bolts
GC New head gasket.

All moving parts are treated with engine build grease to protect it on initial start up.

All that is required will be HT leads & Dizzy cap and some coolant hoses. It comes with a twin choke weber & Airbox, downpipe and all manifolds.

I havent fully decided to sell up this gem of an engine, it was bought to go into my Lada Niva.

I have no idea what its worth hence I am here, I spent more than ?200 with Guy Croft on a complete engine re-build kit.

My engine may be for sale if the offer is a reasonable one. I am definately testing the water here but will sell for sensible money, I would never expect to make profit on this but I would like to recover what I have spent.

Ivan

t66

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »

stathe174

131 S

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »

You really have a nice looking engine there...

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
t66

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »

Thanks for that.....

The engine was bought from a guy who had a TC in a Morris Minor, it was his spare with no history.

Looked very sad when I first got it , most of the work has gone into cleaning the parts off with 30 years of use on them.

If the blue block is a bit bright then I can change the colour to whatever is required easy enough.

I will not fit the head or sump to allow a decent inspection for any prospective customers, I am located in Northumberland.

I sold off a pair of Solex/Mikuni 40s and manifold for this engine last year, these engines look really special with twin sidedraughts fitted.

Twin 40s

The block all cleaned off.

The Oil Pump & How I found all the journals.

How it looked when I bought it (NB) It also has a PS pump.

theredx19
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:52:01 AM »

You should have left the carbon on the piston as you can develop hot spots on the crown and what was the bore wear like before you removed the top wear line
chris131

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »

PM sent.
t66

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »

You should have left the carbon on the piston as you can develop hot spots on the crown and what was the bore wear like before you removed the top wear line

Thanks for your advice,

But Ive never seen that tip of leaving carbon on a piston crown to deter hot spots, I think you meant to say carbon DOES cause hotspots ...in which case "Thats why its all removed"

Maybe all engine builders should add carbon to their pistons..... Roll Eyes

I will supply all pictures of my strip and build to anyone seriously wanting to buy it, I do not disguise the fact the bore was worn. However the bores were clean, not pitted, with the bulk of the carbon build up on the pistons.
There was evidence of light scoring on the pistons, and some bore washing. They cleaned up very well and now have new rings fitted.

The bores have been run through with a flex hone as previously stated. Subsequently the wear ridge you make reference to is very slight. The cylinder head and sump will remain off until I have successfully sold it.

Then purchasers can make their own mind up about the carbon & bores.

This is not a Guy Croft engine ! Its a 30 year old engine.

Regards

Smiley

theredx19
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

Was only saying you should aalways leave the carbon on the piston crown as when you remove it this is where you will end up with uneven carbon deposits and the famous hot spots.
t66

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »

Was only saying you should aalways leave the carbon on the piston crown as when you remove it this is where you will end up with uneven carbon deposits and the famous hot spots.

Its the carbon on the piston crowns which causes the hotspots, ie where its metal then carbon the heat build up is different so you get a hot spot. Common in old engines which "run on" when switched off, its the hot carbon or hotspot causing the fuel to still ignite in the cylinder.

Removal of the carbon will reduce the likelihood of this problem you speak of.... Smiley

From Wiki...

Causes of pre-ignition

Causes of pre-ignition include the following:[3]

* Carbon deposits form a heat barrier and can be a contributing factor to preignition. Other causes include: An overheated spark plug (too hot a heat range for the application). Glowing carbon deposits on a hot exhaust valve (which may mean the valve is running too hot because of poor seating, a weak valve spring or insufficient valve lash).

* A sharp edge in the combustion chamber or on top of a piston (rounding sharp edges with a grinder can eliminate this cause).

* Sharp edges on valves that were reground improperly (not enough margin left on the edges).

* A lean fuel mixture.

* Low coolant level, slipping fan clutch, inoperative electric cooling fan or other cooling system problem that causes the engine to run hotter than normal.
theredx19
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »

Well any good engine builder will do it the way I do as run is caused by excessive build of carbon normally in the pitting on the crown but it is generally where people dont set the carbs right and lean the mix out causing high combustion temps. This is only advice as it was my dad who showed me never remove carbon on a crown and sure he was the Technical manager in Fiat and Lancia so he would have an idea of what he was doing  Grin Grin but careful with wikipedia as anyone can input or edit so the info there can be very poor at times.
t66

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »

Not sure your right, as I think we both think we are right...... Wink

However you are right about wiki, but I used the Guy Croft manual and what he doesnt know about engine building isnt worth knowing.

Unless new pistons are used, then the pitting can/could cause the carbon to build up again and also itself create hotspots, I am happy with it all cleaned off.

Regards

Smiley
sid131

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »

well as long as you are happy thats the main thing, the  buachaill dearg na heireann does know what he is talking about though & he didnt get it from a book just experience & you cant buy or read that how, much you looking for the bits?
t66

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »

Your right about experience, not in books and cannot be bought....

Ive emailed two guys on here with the money I am looking for, anything around ?600 will cover what Ive spent, my time spent scrubbing and cleaning is free.....

The engine will be sold as seen , so my offer is once its sold and the buyer takes delivery of it , I am happy to give them 14 days cool down period, if the engine isnt wanted its to be returned at their expense not mine, and I will refund the engine cost once its back,  I cannot be fairer than that .

I will parcel the engine together loose with the old head bolts and gasket, you will get the new GC gasket and other parts supplied with the engine, easy to examine etc.

There are others on the 131 forum interested, and it goes without saying the best offer wins the deal, but once the sale is agreed I wont be open to offers, a deal is a deal.

Im new around here, but have been on Lada UK for eons and Locostbuilders , so my pedigree can be checked out. Parting with hard earned cash on the internet can be fraught as we all know...

Ivan
sid131

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »

well good luck with the sale Ivan & welcome to the 131 forum
t66

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »

well good luck with the sale Ivan & welcome to the 131 forum

Thanks Sid,

My other love is also a Fiat, heres why the TC is going.

http://ivanskis-garage-blog.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-12-13T14%3A16%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.