Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:32:16 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  132 S2 at Watford Breakers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 132 S2 at Watford Breakers  (Read 25708 times)
theredx19
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »

Somebody buy this car to restore and not to break it up as breaking a very restorable is the greatest SIN of any car lover  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes can we start a campaign to save these cars from the FIAT murderers Shocked

How do you know it is very restorable? You would have to see the car personally to know that.
True I have not seen the car but look at what Yagmur can do as some folk get hung up on the FINANCIAL end of it as the car wont be WORTH what they put into it. You have just priced the car in parts fueling the concept of murdering the car for a 50 or maybe a 100 pound profit and we wonder where all the 131's went.....
hammerbeirne

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 11:51:34 AM »

They were and still are one of the classiest and most comfortable cars on the road and i would definately have it if it was closer to me no question  It cant be as bad as the one in Ireland is at1000euros according to reports
TreviDash

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

cant seem to find it on ebay, anyone got the link or ebay number?

Sad
click on the pic, as I said above...

Ok I went over this afternoon.  I remember Graham the yard owner from my short trousers days.  He said he's had two calls from the guys on here requesting more photos.  I'd like the car myself...  Has been outside for a lot of its life, last ten years confirmed by the parking permits.  So, anyhow here are more pics

http://193.118.14.76/jason/132/

vid clip of engine run-up, in case browsers muck about:
http://193.118.14.76/jason/132/MVI_3921.AVI

Cheers
Jason

'52 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon, daily derv
x2 '82 Lancia Beta S3 Berlina, one for sale
I did have a 131 once, honest.
jack1

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »

anybody get pics yet?   you must of been downloading as i asked and i must say great selection, do you have an opion yourself on the car?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:48:20 PM by jack1 » Logged

1996  850r (sleeper)
djape1977

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »

no way this car should be scrapped!
if you guys overseas think this is to be broken for parts or scrapped, you're nuts! i've salvaged and driven for years much worse cars than this one. please someone save it!

if not, save the doorcards for me  Grin

get a bigger hammer!
sid131

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 06:05:09 PM »

Lads that 132 is rotten not worth the effort, it would empty your wallet fast if you were paying someone to try & weld it, but if you had access to new panels & completley stripped & spent 3 years welding it in your spare time then go for it.
jack1

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »

sadly  sid131 now i've  seen  the  pics  i think i would have to agree ,i will now stop the bidding  and  let  someone  braver have a go,shame

1996  850r (sleeper)
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »

Hi Jason - Thanks for the pics - That is a proper set of pictures - Taken by a man that knows Italian cars!! :-)

Engine sounds sweet but the car is not for me either, although I'd be pleased if it turned up in my drive as it is.  Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
djape1977

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »

we're not talking about value of a car in monetary terms. 132's are getting very hard to come by and i personally wouldn't mind getting my hands on this one if it wasn't RHD and if transport cost to Serbia wouldn't be over 500e.
btw, last week i bought two front wings, two rear wings, all 4 doors, both sills and a bootlid for 132, all new old stock parts, for 200e. for me it's a bargain

get a bigger hammer!
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »

Looks like it could be saved to me. But Sid is right a lot of work would be needed. You would either have to be prepared to spend a lot or do the work yourself.

Djape looks like you got a great deal on those panels. I would have expected to pay much more than 200 Euro for all that Grin

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »

A few friends had a gold one in the mid 80's of these it seemed to be  sold to each one in turn in the same village and allways manage 120mph with four or more people in the car coming back from disco's  Tongue every weekend

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
TreviDash

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 01:14:32 PM »

My take on the car, make of this what you will.  I'm no expert and don't pretend to be.

Structure from front to back:

Inside the engine bay was all together, wing rails there and good, not blown through at bulkhead - original factory seams like an Alfasud owner hasn't seen for decades.  The rust on the inner wing (O/S) under and around battery tray mount into corner was more surface rust and not totally rotted out as the photo implies - it may need new metal here but not a lot from what I could see. N/S pretty good, original factory seams.  No evidence of smash damage to corners and rails.

Front valence shot. Rails need inspection but if it was bad and weak you'd be seeing through it from the engine bay by now and the car would be sitting pi$$ed. Top suspension arms don't look great though, and I would expect new metal here to the inner wing.

Front wings pretty good really, all tops and front corners are solid without bubbling around lights or the rear corner.  Plastic front arch liners are still there. Arches just need local work.  The usual rot at bottom corners.

Screen surround bottom were original and had a bubble or two but looking underneath it's good. Roof to A-pillar join has a needs work but it's localised.  Screen top to roof good, roof rails ok with some local work.

A, B, C pillars good, top to bottom.

Underneath!  Outer sills plated in past in places many years ago, this and the thin tidy(-ish) lip welds indicate original sills and not covers. Inner sills seemed good at door shuts and when given a squeeze, but I didn't lift carpets.  Floors rails look ok but will need work no doubt. Floors need replacing - it's a patchwork quilt from years of plated repairs along the length of the tub, but appears confined to the outer edge 6 inches and the expectedly hopeless areas around the jacking points. Inner arch flitches look ok but bound to be rough as the sill ends are all plated. Can't really offer any better with putting it on a ramp, but I've seen 12 year old Fiestas heading this way...

Rear arches saveable, the usual rot at bottom corners.

Inside the boot, all upper and lower corners good.  The strut towers are exceptional and solid - Lancia Beta owners would love towers like this.  I didn't lift the seat squab but I reckon it would be the same.  Rear panel all good as was valence. Rot at lower rear quarters just like any old Cortina would have.

Panels: Bonnet front seams rotted from corners across lip, best replaced.  Boot lid lip inner rust but saveable and not blown through to upper skin.  Doors as you would expect - tops need local, but window frames look good.  Skins shot at bottom, as expected, but door frames as a whole appear saveable.  All panels and doors appear to be factory.

Interior:  All there, grubby, rear squab seams split but saveable, front seats good, side bolsters ok if lumpy.  Nothing seemed broken, not even the glove box lid !

Window glass all good.

Engine fired and ran sweetly and revved up and down very well and quickly, no oil leaks noted, not smoky.  Didn't get it properly warm of course, but oil cap clean, didn?t hear any piston slap, knocks or grumbling bearings.  Top-end sounded happy.  Clutch operated, quiet gearbox bearings at idle, as was release bearing.  Hoses, etc made it look like it's had decent servicing the past, but been sitting out in the open in recent years, unused.  If it's done more than 53k then it's not much more.

I was pushed for time, so treat this as a quick inspection from someone burned in the past at MOT time Cheesy
Of course it's a rot box, but I think the car could be saved as the bulkhead area; A/B-pillars and D-post are solid enough.  I saw (and owned) worse cars twenty years ago.  Floors and sills need replacing but that's straightforward stuff, box sections and strut towers are not.

Castrol

Fiat the way of life....no sense just feeling

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »

Oh my god!!! i have to say. If you guys say that is rotten car come visit in Finland  Grin Almost every old car in here looks liket that. It looks much more worse than it is. I can tell that on straight hand. Little sandblasting and good as new of course some paint can be aplied.

My 131 was much more badly looking underneath but its now passed MOT and pleasant driving  Smiley

Mayby you guys are use to little more better ones in there somewhere that is really good car just a little job done. Of course there is allways some suprises on under everything what photos dont show but still.

Old Fiat?s don?t die they come to my garage Smiley
Fiat 131 Racing replica
Ex:Fiat Argenta 120ie
djape1977

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

@TreviDash
that's the most comprehensive and honest overview of a second hand car i've read so far!
you really know your fiat's. thanks for the effort and the time

@Castrol
couldn't agree with you more!

seems to me thet our british and irish friends are getting a bit spoiled. what's the fun of having an oldtimer if you don't get your hands dirty? increases driving pleasure tenfold to know that you saved it from the scrappers personally! and believe me, nobody will turn a head if you drve a new fiat, but just imagine yourself taking a drive down your local main street in a pristine 132!

that particular 132 seems to be sufering from all the usual 132 faults except that interior is in much better condition than average. expect that front partition between pasanger compartment and front wheels will be having some rust damage also. all in all, good basis for restoration. not too much of a challenge in my oppinion. just a good honest bodywok patch up and a brakes and suspension overhaul.
we can't all be lucky as our friend from germany with his black 132 belini... that car just needed a new paint as far as i can tell. hardly deserving a restoration title!

get a bigger hammer!
TreviDash

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »

I don't want to be held responsible if the sand blaster reduces it to dust though!  Wink

Don't get me wrong, it's a rotten mess - but weren't they all by 1988, not 2009?  I've seen just as bad BMC/BL bilge get restored, and most of them do not have much value when finished, either. 

How would we feel if it was caged and painted ready for 2-Litre Bangers on Bank holiday Monday?

?320 now, with 3 days left...  someone's not going to get much profit if they just want to part it out though...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.