Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:45:45 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Turn the key and dead!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Turn the key and dead!  (Read 6054 times)
Crazypierre

« on: February 01, 2014, 07:16:59 PM »

Hi everyone
Been using my yellow 1979 1300 CL without any problems for many years now but today, I drove to the shops, parked up, came back, turned the key and nothing.....

Not a click, not a slight turning over, just dead. The battery is new and checked it with a voltmeter and it's fine but at the electrodes and on the battery cable ends.

Got four burly lads out of the pub to give me a push start and it started no problems.

I think I know what the problem but would like to validate my diagnosis with you fellas.

Cheers in advance.
Pete
c.a.c131

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »

Sounds like the ignition block Smiley

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
Tas131

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »

Starter motor! I had similar symptoms recently, ended up being starter motor brushes were worn. Check you have 12 volts on the wire to the starter solenoid when ignition key turned to start, if yes it's a starter issue, if not, electrical issue elsewhere.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »

Contacts behind ignition barrel, mine happen in supermarket carpark 2 years ago had to hot wire it!

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Crazypierre

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »

Thanks.

I had not considered the ignition barrel.......

Mick
I will start with checking the starter motor. Is it under the carb?  But how do I get to the wires to put a voltmeter onto it.  I would have thought I'd have to put the car on ramps and get to it from underneath but I can't start it....

Jasonh
If it's the contacts behind the barrel, how do I get to those?

Thanks all, my car is stranded in my drive.......

Cheers
Peter
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »

Try a cable streight from the starter main terminal to + battery teminal  .are there any dash lights? Ignition barrell behind coloum shroud

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Crazypierre

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »

Hi. Yes dashboard lights on. I tried knocking the starter to engage the brushes but no luck.
Peter
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

On a lighter side, read this: http://www.131mirafiori.com/smf/index.php?topic=5549.0

No great help, but fun reading.

But seriously: it might be your starter that's broken.

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Tas131

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

Mick
I will start with checking the starter motor. Is it under the carb?  But how do I get to the wires to put a voltmeter onto it.
Cheers
Peter

Assuming you're running a twincam, it's under the inlet manifold, a torch and a mirror will give you a better idea of what you're up against. There is a wire that goes on to a spade terminal on the starter solenoid on top of the starter motor. If you pull the wire off, measure voltage between wire and ground while someone turns the key, you should get close to battery volts. If good your starter is suspect, if volts are low, ignition switch would be my next point to check.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Crazypierre

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »

Thanks All.
Put a small hammer under there, gave the starter and solenoid a bit of a knocking with the small hammer and the car started........

could it be the brushes?

But when if didnt start there was no clicking sound.....which would indicate solenoid or ignition barrell
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »

Just change the starter ,it is 30 years old  Cheesy

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.