Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 11:08:27 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  How Many?? And what to do??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Many?? And what to do??  (Read 9457 times)
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:28 PM »

Simon,

In this case I agree with you for the full 100 percent. Of course it can be great to convert a car into something different but basically that is not my thing. I think the basic point here is that there are only a very limited number of restorable and good 131s on the road still and our wish is to keep them this way. For me it is almost horror when people use a very good car and turn it with the best intentions into a replica. When you do that with a full restorationproject or with a broken restoration, go on and make the best you can BUT I hope really that the few original CL,s and Sports around stay this way or will be restored to the original specification! A replica will never be an original!!

Of course this is my personal idea, everybody should do his own thing of course!!

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
Andy c

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »

Of course were not going to fall out over this we are all proud owners and i understand when you
say about getting asked if your abarth real or not as im always getting asked the same question and i always tell the truth.
if i had the money i would have genuine.

So just for discusion sake can you over modify a 131

Andy Cobb
Polegate East Sussex
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 08:48:14 PM »

You ever saw that 4 door  in a strange kind of gold colour with the doors opening like a Lambo?

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:07 AM »

Hi Andy,

For the sake of discussion, yes, I believe that all cars can be over modified, but I'm not against certain modifications - especially if it enhances road safety. Why not make the most of the latest technologies (eg tyres and brake compounds) to make your car safer? Grin

For arguements sake, lets take Theo's beautiful, and much coveted Sport. There are many people who would believe his car to be standard, but in actual fact it has many performance and handling enhancing mods. He has a wonderful Guy Croft twin carb engine up front, but has sensibly uprated brakes with larger than standard front discs and pads and rear disc brakes too. I believe the car also has uprated suspension. Whilst these are 'modifications', they are subtle and help the car to be safer, especially useful as Theo has been known to use his Sport as his daily driver. Wink

The other end of the spectrum is certain of the 'Hounslowed cars' I used to regular see around West London in my youth (late 1980's). Car's sprayed pearlescent pink or green, with chopped springs (literally Shocked) and riding about an inch off the road. Cars with super wide wheels that rubbed on the arches when the steering was turned or that audibly hit the road when they had a driver and passenger in.

The other thing to consider as well is parts availability. Classic example - my Abarth has never had a good interior (sun affected cloth) so I fitted one from a Sport. This has now decided to throw in the towel and the ratchet has stripped on the drivers seat, so now I'm considering the purchase of 'rally style' seats. The truth is that if I could find a good, reasonably priced genuine Stradale interior, I'd buy it in a flash, but there aren't any, so I'll have to make do with what I can find.

IMHO certain mods are essential (tyres), certain are desirable (a GC engine) and certain are most definitely over the top (Lambo style doors and oversized chrome wheels Shocked).

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.