Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:11:30 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Fiat tempra problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fiat tempra problem  (Read 5364 times)
Henk

« on: June 14, 2010, 07:00:40 AM »

Maybe some knows what this could be:

I do drive a 1.6 SPI tempra 1992 and since a few weeks the engine starts to shake if I hit the gas
It is as if there is no fuel or ignition. it will go to 3 or 4000 rpm but then sort of stops for a few seconds, comes in again etc.
in idle there is no problem.
Yesterday I did 120 K on the highway, the first 10 minutes (before entering the higway) I had these problems, on the highway however, everthing went fine except for a few of those "kicks and bumps"
What would be my best shot?

Cheers
Henk

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
david

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

Henk, The first place I would look is the throttle position unit on the throttle body of the spi as this is a sign of a fault in this unit. Also I would unplug all connectors related to the spi and spray the pins with wd40 or similar as I have found corroded pins on these plugs causing problems and also sending false fault codes due to the pins being corroded. If all this fails to work put it on a fault code reader.
turb

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:27:58 AM »

Hi Henk
I would also look at the basics, like fuel filter (as it could be fuel deprived?) and spark plugs/ leads (as it might be intermittently dropping a cylinder?).
Regards J.
Henk

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »

Thanks guys
I did replace the fuel filter but no plugs (they have been there quite a while so I will replace them as wel)
David, do you mean the 4 pin positioning unit or the 5 pin  positioning potentiomer (feed back to control unit as far as I know)?

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
david

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »

Henk, I dont know exactly where it is on the spi throttle body on a tempra but as I recall from these early fiat spi systems when you lift the bonnet it will be on the left of the throttle body as you look at it. They tell you that you cant remove these and have to change the whole unit but there used to be two spline key type bolts holding them on and they can be changed with one from a donor vehicle. When you remove it it is just a printed circuit but they wear out as there is a fork attached to the throttle and it runs across this printed circuit and wears with age and causes it to fail but thats if this is the fault ?  but it sounds like it and would explain why it wasnt so bad on the motorway as you hardly move the accelerator pedal.
Henk

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

Thanks David
I will examine this circuitboard
Maybe Yagmur can supply one as he told me that this tempra was also build in Turkey.
Cheers
Henk

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
fiat131sport82

suljo mohamed. now live london engaland.like 131

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

coil breaking inside? checks with anothers good coil i have simular problems with my sister uno 1.3 and was coil sometimes work sometimes no, it breaks inside  Huh
i change for one from other good uno and it work good
good luck freind
suljo m

suljo mohamed from bosnia now live london engaland
Henk

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »

Thanks Suljo
I assume you mean the ignition coil, right?
I would expect some backfire if it was ignition related but there is no sign of that.
Anyways, I will check on the fuel system first as David suggested...
I will let you know once it is solved.

cheers
Henk

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.