Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:10:32 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Pushrod intake manifolds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pushrod intake manifolds  (Read 6476 times)
jseabolt

« on: January 15, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »

In the US, there were no 131s sold here with the (1600 ??) pushrod engines. All 131s sent to the US had 1800 then 2000cc twin cam engines. Yet these larger displacement engines made less HP than the pushrod engines because of all the polution control devices and lower C/Rs.

I'm curious, are the intake manifolds interchangeable between the pushrod and twin cam engines? I was thinking of doing a propane conversion on my 131 and this IMPCO CA-100 mixer/carb seems to be the best choice. 

http://tinyurl.com/6p4lxgs

But it uses a two bolt base instead of a four bolt carb like a twin cam intake manifold. By the time I fabricate an adapter, I'm afraid the bonnet may not shut.

I'm thinking the pushrod engines used a one barrel carb like a Weber 34 ICH or something. So this mixer/carb may bolt right up.

Please forgive me on my lack of 131 pushrod engine knowledge. I know nothing about these engines since they were never sold here.

1968 Ford Fairlane 500 (302 automatic)
1980 Fiat 131 Brava  (2000 automatic)
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (2000 turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601
2003 Subaru Baja
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »

I don't know if the OHV and Twin Cam intake manifolds are the same but I can tell you that the OHV engines used twin progressive choke carburettors which have a 4-bolt mounting. In fact I think all Solex and Webber carburettors used by Fiat use the 4 bolt mounting. Isn't it just SU dnd possibly Stronberg carburettors that use two bolts?

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
jseabolt

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

I don't know if the OHV and Twin Cam intake manifolds are the same but I can tell you that the OHV engines used twin progressive choke carburettors which have a 4-bolt mounting. In fact I think all Solex and Webber carburettors used by Fiat use the 4 bolt mounting. Isn't it just SU dnd possibly Stronberg carburettors that use two bolts?

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

1981 Trabant 601
2003 Subaru Baja
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

Maybe you can use something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPCO-LPG-PROPANE-CARBURETOR-MIXER-HOLLEY-2-BARREL-/180355946613

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
jseabolt

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »

I somehow missed that one on Ebay. Some Holley carbed used on Fords back in the 70s (2.3 liter Pintos, Mustangs) were actually rebadged Webers so the bolt pattern may be the same. What effect would using a 76mm carb on a 2 liter create?

1981 Trabant 601
2003 Subaru Baja
Tas131

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »

I've got a 70+mm LPG throttlebody on my 2 litre, it runs well. The pushrod and twincam manifolds are not interchangeable. The pushrod is siamesed ports with intake and exhaust on the same side, twincam is crossflow.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
jseabolt

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:13:53 PM »

I've got a 70+mm LPG throttlebody on my 2 litre, it runs well. The pushrod and twincam manifolds are not interchangeable. The pushrod is siamesed ports with intake and exhaust on the same side, twincam is crossflow.

My 131 is itching to be turbocharged. It's got the Opel automatic and it's slug. I can stomp the accelerator from a dead stop and if the secondary opens up, the engine shuts off. I'm not sure if the secondary jet is clogged or I'm just asking for the car to do too much. The car has to be going at least 20 mph before I open up the secondary.

Although my 131 is fun to drive, my turbocharged Yugo 1500 and turbo 2000 Fiat Spider runs circles around this thing.

I've turbocharged L-jet and Webers but have no experience with LPG mixers.

If using a non-electronic LPG mixer like the IMPCO which increases gas flow based on manifold vacuum, what would happen under positive manifold pressure? I'd imagine the same thing (engine shuts down) if not having the fuel bowl vent connected to the bonnet or not enough fuel pressure (wrong fuel pump or 1:1 fuel pressure regulator to installed).

LPG is sort of a novelty over here like diesel was back in the 1990s. When I mean novelty, I mean it's like trying to find a petrol station that is open from 12 to 3 in the afternoon in the Italian countryside. Or an AGIP petrol station that is open after 5pm in downtown Torino. This was back in the late 90s. I'm sure this isn't the norm with Italian petrol stations, just from my experience.

I would have to take my car between the hours of 8 and 5 Monday through Friday to have it refilled at a station that just refills LPG bottles. Most LPG dealers are closed on the weekends. There are no petrol stations I know of here in the United States that fill an automotive propane tank.

This can create a hassle. Where as with petrol, I can scan my debit or credit card, pump fuel and be on my way within 5 minutes. With propane I have to go into an office, pay the lady, drive 100 feet to their refilling station, etc. So getting propane tanks filled is something you would have to be dedicated at doing.

But LPG is cheaper. The average cost is about US$2.29 for four liters. Where petrol is about US$3.39 for four liters. The price of LPG usually follows the cost of petrol by a dollar less. CNG is even cheaper but once again because CNG and LPG hasn't caught on here in the US, finding a refilling station can be a challenge.

1981 Trabant 601
2003 Subaru Baja
Tas131

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »

A simple gas converter supplies gas at a fixed pressure, around 3psi I believe. The converter requires a boost reference so it can continue to provide the correct pressure.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.