Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:40:28 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Lights problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lights problem  (Read 7468 times)
stathe174

131 S

« on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »

Hi, can anyone help me with this:
In my 131S (I have the front mask with the four lights series one)when I turn on the main beams right one is stronger than left, but the most strange thing is that when I turn on the spotlights left one is  stronger than the right which makes the look of the car strange, as it goes (from left to right) weak - strong - weak - strong. Anyone has seen this problem before? I will try to get a picture when dark to see it.

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
mirafiori76

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »

Stathe,

Some possibilities:

1 Bad grounding. Check them and make sure they are clean.
2 Wrong connections on light bulbs. Check if they are not the wrong way around. Green and Grey wires.
3 Different bulbs. Duplo or H3. Make sure they are all of the same type.
4 Check connections of outer side fuse box.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Henk

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »

Knowing Fiat, most likely is bad grounding but it also depents on how they are wired (wiring diagram).
Is this OE wiring loom or something you made your self?

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
mirafiori76

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

Green is normal head lights, Grey is beam lights and black is ground. Just be sure they are all on the right connectors. This is in all 131's the same.
But like you say, it's probably a grounding problem.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »

Thanks for the help Mike and Henk. Will this tomorrow and let you know.

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
Henk

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »

Yep, agree
didn't check the actual wiring diagram but it sounds like the old phenomenom
of slightly flashing tail lights when putting on the indicator lights due to bad groundig...
(indicators  getting ground through tail lights circuit)
anyways, good luck resolving this
Cheers
Henk

Henk
Fiat Mirafiori 1.6 A1.00
MB W114 280 C
Honda CB750 1972
BMW E30 318 Touring
hammerbeirne

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »

Where are the headlight relays located on 131 have problem with the heads and dipped beams i dont have any The light switch on dashboard works the parking lights ok but when its switched for head lights nothing Ive tried 3 new switches and there all the same Can anyone help?
david

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »

on a sport dipped headlights have no relay but the main beam does, its in the fuse box and has a headlight symbol in front of it.
Never had any trouble with any of these relays in the fuse box, its more likely to be the connector blocks going into and out of fuse box ?
The fault could be anywhere though but I would check the above first and all the connectors going to the lights under the bonnet.
A long time ago I counted the amount of connections from the light switch to the actual lights and from memory it was sixteen including the ones inside the fuse box itself !
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »

Just a quicky whist your on lights,  When you use those 80/100w bulbs it burns out the ignition switch contacts for the reason David states, there's no relay on Dip, just a warning for others.  You just wire in your main and dip through there own relays.

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
david

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »

The main feed (brown wire) is always chared to a certain extent on 131's where it goes into the ign plug.
I nearly had a sport go up because of this so I cut it back either side of the connector and soldered it and that cured it and stopped it getting hot.
If you solder it you will need a decent soldering iron like the big old ones you heat on the gas, don't
even bother trying with one of those silly electric ones, oh and a tin of flux.
Had a few Lancia thema with the same problem as well.
hammerbeirne

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »

Thanks for the help chaps
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:08:46 PM »

Guys

I have a good tip for bad grounding in Fiat ,

The little "porcupine" grounding connection that gives fiats many problens can be fixed in an easy way.

The porcupine is bolted to the body with a small ( 8 or 10 mm ) bolt . Unbolt it. Take a piece of wire with a loop electrical connector ending put it between the bolt and the nut . Bolt it back together. Ground the other end of the wire nearby.

The job is done.

The problem with the porcupine is not the electrical connectors you attach to it but the grounding of the porcupine itself !

It is  tip i got from my electrician , a guy with a lot of experience in Fiat electrical system. Worked for me and all friends I shared it with.

Miro       

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.