Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:42:25 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Auto Italia's "Ultimate Italian Car Buyer's Guide!"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Auto Italia's "Ultimate Italian Car Buyer's Guide!"  (Read 3608 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« on: April 17, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »

The latest issue of Auto Italia magazine has their new section which they claim is "The Ultimate Italian Car Buyer's Guide!"

It has a short description of the 131 which on the whole is quite complementary even though it has the usual "most 131s rusted..." which, let's face it, is true  Cry

But what I think is wrong is the price guide. It says "All 131s are rare but a mint Sport is still probably not worth more than ?2000. Owners of genuine Abarths can name their price." Good point about the Abarth but a mint Sport for ?2000? I'll buy them all at that price and sell them on eBay for a very handsome profit! We've seen many Sports sold on eBay for a lot more money and they were nowhere near to "mint". Why is it that the Classic Car press refuses to accept that a good 131 is worth more money when many buyers are willing to pay a lot more money than the 'top' prices published in the Classic Car guides? I expected Auto Italia to be more understanding and get it right. Maybe it is I who is wrong...

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 07:45:19 AM »

No Theo, it is most certainly NOT you who is wrong! Roll Eyes

A truly mint 131 Sport will go for in excess of ?5,000, never mind ?2,000! Often they will fetch more than that. There was the recent case where a 131 Sport that had been stood outside for more than three years and had rot, even holes(!) in virtually every panel - sold for around ?1,200. It would have needed probably three times that spending on it just to get it roadworthy! Shocked

I am extremely disappointed that the Classic Car press continue to 'dream up' their figures in relation to the (once) more common Italian models. Owners and serious enthusiasts are the best gauge of price. Auto Italia should know better! Angry

Perhaps Theo it's time to drop Phil or Michael Ward a line to enquire who supplied these values! It certainly wasn't anyone that I have spoken to in the '131 World' in the last five years!!

The comments regarding Abarth values may well be true, but to be honest so few come to the market that an accurate measure of price would be difficult to produce. Generally though - in my opinion at least - good, useable Stradales go for upwards of ?20,000, more for the very good original/restored ones, with genuine Group 4 cars going for upwards of ?50,000.

But again, these prices can easily inflate if there is one car that two or more potential buyers are after! The same applies for the Sport too.

It's also worth noting that there are many 131 Abarth replicas about these days, very well executed in some cases. There are also certain people 'converting' Stradales in to Group 4 replicas (Guy Moerenhout in Belgium comes to mind). Gauging the value of these is extremely difficult - but they are certainly desirable to many - if not to me Grin Grin

The issue of prices will always be contentious - however generally the phrase 'it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it', whilst being a bit of a cop-out, holds true.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
maxi.man

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:43:19 PM »

being a renault turbo 2 freak  the prices in some guides havent changed for the last ten years really a scrap car is worth what they say a good condition on the road model is worth dont know who makes em up  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.