Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:18:07 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Help with Alquati Cremona Swept Back intake manifold
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with Alquati Cremona Swept Back intake manifold  (Read 9250 times)
124CC

« on: July 01, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

I have a problem fitting an Alquati Cremona Swept Back intake manifold to my 124 Sport Coupe CC and I was hoping that somebody may have some experience with it.

After spending hours and hours to make a perfect fit of the manifold to the cylinder head, I tried to fit the head on the block only to find out that the manifold is obstructed by the firewall and the accelerator pedal teflon mount.

Even when I push the engine a bit to the front the head sits on the block properly but there is no way to fit the rear carb as it is again obstructed by the firewall.

Does anyone have any experience with such a problem and maybe any suggestions?

* IMAG0163.jpg (440.33 KB, 1296x864 - viewed 1586 times.)

* IMAG0166.jpg (433.74 KB, 1296x864 - viewed 1568 times.)
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »

I think thats why they all have  a straight waffle manifold .... on the 124's

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Fiat 131 Abarth#2

Fiat 131 Abarth Gr.4

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »

Looks not Original Alquati Cremona! that the problem. China products have other measurements.

original will fit look picture:

and yes an waffle manifold will fit with no problems it was original in some Spider and Coupe!!!

* Picture_4190-2-1.jpg (58.45 KB, 600x399 - viewed 1633 times.)

* Picture_4764-1.jpg (71.76 KB, 600x400 - viewed 1391 times.)

Enzo from Germany!
124CC

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »

Indeed it's not original Alquati. It is made here in Greece as a replica.

I need about 1.5 centimeters for the manifold to fit.
Do you think that handmade engine mounts that would move the engine a bit to the front are worth the trouble?

POQ 131

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:19:50 AM »

OOhh  Undecided   A number of ways to go here.
As it is it becomes obvious that the solution is not simple.
I put a 40 IDF carb set from a BC coupe onto my 125 special & had to change from the straight waffle manifold to the swept back because of the manifold to distributor clearance. I used the BC air cleaner box & had plenty of room. Remember that you need room for the air box as well as the rear carb.
At the time my options were either the swept back manifold or the exhaust cam mounted distributor. Seeing as how I had the firewall clearance I just changed manifold.
Your options as I see them are to hack into the firewall & move it back, re weld & re paint to make clearance. I don't like that because the car appears too nice to cut: So we are left with going back to the original straight 124 BC coupe manifold, the blanking plug for the distributor & an exhaust cam mounted distributor of a BC.  If your motor is 1800 or 2000, then an exhaust cam, box & distributor from a 131.
The option that you mention of moving the engine gearbox assembly forward by 1.5 cm is fraught with its own set of ongoing problems. Engine mounts front & rear. Fan to radiator clearance. Prop drive shaft spline engagement. Sump to cross member clearance. Exhaust needs to stretch forward. Gear stick to boot in centre console AAARrgghh! STOP  Cry
O.

O.
Fiat 131 Abarth#2

Fiat 131 Abarth Gr.4

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »

Sell it!!!
and buy and waffle manifold and also the ignition distributor for the exhaust cam.
BTW: handmade solutions will help always, as best one can!

Enzo from Germany!
124CC

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:55:26 AM »

Apparently the manifold revealed a deeper problem with the engine position that I didn't have a clue of.
The engine seemed to be tilted backwards and very close to the firewall.
On top of this, the rubber mounts were unusually stretched.
Most probable reason is the installation of a 131 gearbox (without remote shifter) by the previous owner without having cut the propshaft tunnel. He just made it a little wider at the gear lever hole and to be honest, I am really happy that the tunnel is intact.

Since the propshaft of the 131 gearbox is positioned higher than the 124 one and the tunnel was not cut to compensate this height difference, the engine was pulled rearwards and tilted backwards by the gearbox.

What had to be done was either to change the gearbox or to find a way to place the engine back to its original, or at least close to its original to position.

The solution came by searching the market for mounts that would do exactly this.
We managed to find a pair of mounts that seemed to be ideal for the task as  they moved the engine slightly to the front, for achieving the desired firewall clearance for the manifold, and slightly lower so that the gearbox and propshaft would be aligned.

Now it seems that everything sits better than before. The engine is flat and not tilted and the gear lever reposition was so insignificant that there were no modifications necessary.

The exhaust was not such a big problem either. The Y junction was obstructed by the new engine position but when I took the car to the exhaust shop it was revealed that the Y junction itself had been previously modified. We  installed a NOS from 124 Special T and it fitted like a glove!

New aftermarket engine mounts (Rear thread was cut)

Current engine position with the swept-back manufold in place and K&N filters

Exhaust manifold with the NOS Y junction in place.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:55:30 AM by 124CC » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.