Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:23:43 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Running problems...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Running problems...  (Read 21660 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: February 22, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »

I've had a running problem with my Sport since last October's GKMR - Whenever I revved the engine past 4000rpm the engine went into kanagroo mode with an apparent fuel delivery method of deliver - fail - deliver - fail - deliver - fail at the rate of 2 of these cycles per second..ish. The engine never felt like stalling or cutting out but it failed to pick up any more speed restricting itself to the above mentioned engine speed limit.

This was most evident in 3/4/5th gears and it seemed almost possible to fool the engine in 2nd gear with the foot planted out of a roundabout for example in being able to rev 5/6000rpm, reverting to it's kangaroo impression in the higher gears.

Very occasionally the car would perform as expected in the higher gears but maybe once out of 10 occasions.

There is never any trouble in town driving, pulling away, stop start, cold starting - Auto choke performs fine. Only at higher road speeds and gears.

Yesterday I took the car on a 200km round trip to Killarney and the problem re-asserted itself but got progressively worse on the way home, almost to the extent that I was paying a lot of attention to my progress so as to be able to pinpoint my location for a possible breakdown truck!!

For the first time the kangaroo charateristic appeared on light throttle openings and especially when the road rose in front of me, disappearing as the the road went downhill. Changing gears up and down between 3/4/5 temporarily? improved matters as did a subtle easing of the throttle just as I sensed the problem about to appear. Worse now is the fact that it can appear as low as 3000 or 2500 rpm so it would appear to be something that is deteriorating.

For information :

There is an electric fuel pump fitted.
I use an additive when filling the tank and I know I'm not on the same tank of fuel since October.
There is also an inline fuel filter fitted.

I'd welcome people's views (along with suggested course of action) on whether this appears to be fuel, fuel delivery, electrical, air (road speed related..?) ...or something else entirely.? Huh
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:01:52 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »

When last did you change the plug leads and the coil lead+ the spark plugs?.It could be a plug lead.Take of one lead at a time and see is there any green corrision.Do this first,and see what the outcome is.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
parrish

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »

Electrical.
Sounds like a shorty somewhere!
I would look at the distribuitor.
Distributor cap, small crack invisible to the eye, best way to check is to find another cap.
Condenser breaking down under load and intermitently?
If i have electrical problems i drive some where pitch black, lights out, lift the bonnet let your eyes adjust for a few minutes then keeping your hands out! have a good ,look around under the bonnet.
Steve
Let me know how you get on.

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

I would also guess electrical and I'd suspect the magnetic pickup in the distributor (no points and no condenser on a Sport Steve). The faster you go the more the centrifugal advance increases by the action of the bob weights and springs. That moves the pickup disk and stretches the wires of the pickup. These wires break or the insulation cracks (insulation hardens with time and heat) so you get an open circuit or a short circuit causing no spark so power off. Then advance mechanism retards making electrical contact again and power is back on. So if you've never changed the magnetic pickup then I'd say change that first.

But it could also be fuel related, (delivery or carburettor) or the electronic ignition unit or anything else. If I was a betting man I'd bet on the magnetic pickup so change that first. I have a spare one somewhere if you can't get one but I've also repaired a few of these by replacing the wires (so don't throw the old one away but let me have it and I'll replace the wire so you can have a spare).

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »

Guys - Thanks for the advice - Three opinions that it is electrical sounds like a good place to start. Hope the symptoms were explained adequately - It really is quite a quick on/off action - I'd liken the jumpy action of the car to the speed of a fornicating bunny's hind legs...ok...maybe not quite that fast!? Smiley

Theo - Is there a generic name for this part (ie magnetic pickup)? Would it be available in a motor factors or on Ebay, or is it a Fiat only supplied part..?

And is it unique to 131s with electronic ignition..?

Thanks? Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »

Kevin!

( I will start like a machanic   Roll Eyes It could many things  Huh

But before you do anything make sure you have paid all the speed camera tickets. Maybe they have come with a new enforcement method Grin

It certainly does not look mechanical , but I would not rule it our yet.

You say:  ?fuel delivery method of deliver - fail - deliver - fail - deliver - fail at the rate of 2 of these cycles per second..ish.?

I assume your Rev counter works finer all the time while the kangaroo effect takes place ?)

Of the top of my head I would say: fuel pump intermitting  due to failure of fuel filter fouled but I would go through a whole of checks to make sure all is OK. This is not lost time as it to check all these elements before  new season and you will always find something to fix. I is better done in a garage, than on the road.   

Kangaroo effect sudden momentary loss of engine operation is most likely due to one of two reasons :

a/ electrical problem ( interruption of all (?) plugs firing)
b/ fuel problem (interruption of fuel delivery by fuel pump)

I would start with basics:

- check the battery connection and ground connection !!!

Test the engine idling:

-    run up the RPM and look for misfiring effect
-    uneven work ?
-    plugs firing OK ? (see how they look and change them anyway! )
-    coil delivering current ?
-    plug cables and connections to coil OK ? 
-    rotor OK ?
- points OK (are you running electronic or point ignition) ?
- all electrical connections to the distributor and under the distributor cap ( in non electronic.
- change the condenser (in non electronic) 

I expect all to be fine, but must be done to make sure we are not missing something.

Next :

Fuel:

- change the fuel filter ! ( or just take it off).
- check electrical connections to the fuel pump
-    check if the pump is working correctly (do you also have the mechanical pump, or just the electric). Electric pump failures are quite common and totally unpredictable. ( Listen for any unusual noise with engine on ignition but not running. Bad pump may give a strange whistling sound). I would suggest that you actually install two and have them switchable.   

If all this does not work disconnect any alarm system you might have on your car and throw it away ! I have found them to fail after 5-10 years of operation and give totally unpredictable efferct ( from can?t start to fail obove certain RPM , engine go dead suddenly and can/cannot be restarted until the engine is cold, etc.

Let us know what it was as it can (will?  Cry) happen to all of us one day.   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:11:02 PM by miro-1980 » Logged

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:19:30 PM »

Kev,

This is what you need (a spare one will be good to have in your garage)

http://shop.ebay.pl/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Fiat+131+electronic&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This is the same for 124 spider 2.0 liter efi as 131 two liter.

They are quite common and yu can get them froim plases like "spiderpoint" or  "wum-autoteile"

Miro 

kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »

Hi Miro - You might be right about the speeding control!! Grin

I can see what the part looks like now - Appears a bit pricey for the size of it. It is available on the 124 site as well but they do like to charge a lot for postage (?24 to UK - maybe more to Ireland!)? Shocked? I might try a UK based source first and come back to Germany if no good.

Many thanks for the advice and I certainly will let you all know how it goes.

I miss the smooth torquey power delivery!!? Wink

Cheers

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:39:04 PM »

KEV , CONTACT THESE GUYS AND NEGOTIATE ...

http://www.spider-point.com/framework.php/mode/contact

I know I did ans got the shipping to real accetable lever.

M

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »

Looks like the correct part but a few look the same and have slight differences. The ones for the 132 have a longer wire but can still be used on the 131. The one for the Strada 105 looks similar but it's a mirror-image. The price is a bit high for one of those; should be much nearer to ?20.

When/if you get one don't use metal feeler gauges to set the gap. You must use non-magnetic feeler gauges to set the gap and if you don't have any just the set the gap to about 1mm by eye. There should also be a magnetic shield washer/spacer and this must be installed the correct way round. A line on the base washer will show you which way up it should go. Of course there should be instructions with any new pickup to tell you all this.

Miro said something very correct above. If the pickup or any other part of the electronic ignition is your problem, then your rev counter will flicker during loss of power.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:56:19 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:23:57 AM »

Hi Kev,

I'd have to generally agree (how could I not after such input from the forum's finest Grin Wink Grin Cool) with everything so far mentioned above about the electronics breaking down.

The pick-up is usually the first thing that 'goes'. It happened to my Racing not so long ago, although in that particular instance it was the lead from the dizzy to the inner wing mounted module (at the dizzy end) that 'broke down'. Theo generously tried to repair it - several times - but it was far easier and a better job, to replace it.

I purchased mine (pick-up 'module' complete with associated leads) from Ricambio in Banstead, Surrey, for about ?20 all in I believe, about 18 months ago.

As well as this however I'd also check out the carb and fuel delivery system as there could just be a 'restriction' in the flow, or dirt in the jets. My Abarth ran like a pig when I first owner it and despite all the electrical replacements and servicing I could manage, only the renewal of the jets made it really run sweetly. I'm not suggesting that you need to do this just yet but it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter and clean the small plastic mesh filter in the top of the carb.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply Kev. Wink

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers, Si Cool

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
theredx19
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »

Well without upsetting the German members or Italian members again get the bosch system as the marelli only ever made money for us poor mechanics  Cheesy Cheesy
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »

I really should keep my mouth shut , after top Fiart eperts have spoken , but
I never could   Wink

Bosch or Magneti Marelli ?  Well, yes , but ... if both are in good running condition , neither will cause the kanguroo effect and there is no difference in performance (maybe in longevity).

I really would like to know what was the reason for this kanguroo symptoms.  Huh

I really would expect something to do with fuel pump and/or fuel filter causign the obstrction.

If it were to do with pick up coil and ignition generally the Rev counter would likely show it.

Secondly my experience with pumps and filters point to these elelents being at fault. If the car goes inot to high rpm (in neutral gear) showing no adverse symptoms I would not see it as the cause of kanguroo effect.  Look  into the fuel supply as the reason. carbs are very much part of it , but I would look into the carbs after chackinf filter and pump.

When ( if ever have you cleaned your fuel tank?) Do you have a tendency to drive on fumes ?
This may carse the filter , pupm and carbs to fet fouled with debis from the botttom of the tank.

Get a tankfull of new gas (pertol) and try running it in on the road again... ( not too far from the garage,  though ...   Roll Eyes

I will be really interesting to know whose diagnosis was most accurate and why?     Shocked 

theredx19
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:06:30 PM »

Miro I think you are spot on with that as I was saying about the bosch and marelli system as regards the 3ma run as I think people want to minimise any problems but you are right both systems are as good in their performance but as you say the longevity is the issue  Roll Eyes
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »

Kev, ,

Any resolution to the problem?

Miro

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.