Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:11:10 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Bringing back to standard...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bringing back to standard...  (Read 4669 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »

Some of the forum members know that my engine bay had quite a few mechanical and electrical modifications from standard.

To my mind most of them were preventitative measures designed to prolong the life of the car and it's functions and to make it more reliable. The amount of effort and degree of engineering invested by the first owner is quite astonishing on a car that then was used very little.? Huh Some of the measures I am profoundly grateful for though like the aniti rust treatment. Possibly the oil treatment system has also reduced wear and tear on the engine. Here are some pictures to illustrate the story.

The oil circulation system baffled everyone that I showed it to.... except Theo whose theory of the system dumping cooled oil on the exhaust camshaft was the most likely to me. Anyway, it's all gone now..at least most of it. Why?

One of the concerns that I had when I bought the car was that the extra complexity was a problem eventually waiting to happen and would make any mechanical or electrical diagnosis that extra bit difficult. Especially if the car was being worked upon by anyone who was unfamiliar with these engines.

One oil cooler (in the normal position) has been retained along with the oil temp/pressure guages inside but otherwise it is now virtually standard.

Some after pictures to illustrate the current state...

The story would be incomplete without a picture of the removed components.
The combined weight of this little pile is 2 stone of 13kgs. I'm hoping this will shave a few tenths off my 0-100km/h time.? Cheesy Wink

Btw, if anyone wants any of this stuff it's free to collect...before Mr Binman gets it.? Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:17:37 PM »

Certainly tidies up the engine bay Grin

I'm always tempted by cheap or free 131 stuff, but I don't think I really need an oil cooler on my car so I will leave it for someone else Grin

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
sid131

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »

Nice & tidy now Kevin, looks great.
sam22

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:59:15 PM »

that engine bay looks well kevin as does the whole car.............
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

Kev ,

Could you hold on to the double remote oil filter mounts.

I could use these and I am ready to pay for them .

Any chance for mailing them to me?

Miro 

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »

Hi Miro - OK - They are yours ......please be a bit patient as it's very difficult for me to get to a post office during opening hours ....plus they are currently leaking nasty black oil.

It could be some time before I get around to cleaning them up and wrapping them ready for posting. When I do that I'll get a postage cost for you - PM me your address.? Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »

Thanks,

PM sent

Miro

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.