Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 08:23:28 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Need technical advice, 2l engine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need technical advice, 2l engine  (Read 16665 times)
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »

Guys,

I have a 2 liter engine sitting in the garage which is to be taken apart and rebuilt. The head is off, as are all accessories. But now I am by no means able to remove the pulley shown in the picture below. I understand I have to block the drive shaft where the pulley is sitting on. But how? Also, no chance to block it using the cam belt with strong tweezers, I tried that too. At the moment, I'm at my wit's end. Anybody a good idea?

Cheers,
Robert

* fiat-ausgleichswelle.jpg (141.22 KB, 800x600 - viewed 575 times.)

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
alan.acs

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »

Try using an air gun and a good quality socket
or buy a pulley clamp but these are expensive

eugene

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »

Maybe that bolt is a left hand thread Huh Roll Eyes.Usually a gud hammer blow should undo it.Same as removing a chuck on a hand drill.If this doesnt work,i would make up a jig to clamp around the pully to prevent the pully from turning.Hope this helps.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »

Can you not lock the shaft behind it? The correct sized rod strategically placed against the lobe that drives the fuel pump should stop the shaft (and therefore the wheel) from turning.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Walezy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »

Impact wrench is perfect for this.

Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »

Guys, thanks for your suggestions! Theo's idea did the trick - took some probing, however, to find the point where the tire iron I finally used blocks the shaft effectively. Having no other tools present, I used a cut muffler as an extension for the wrench  Shocked

@eugene: luckily it's not a left hand thread  Wink

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
theredx19
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:32:50 PM »

Robert dear God be careful how you open these pulleys as they are plastic based, Tomas's idea is a good one but wind the gun right down but dont listen to the Cork butcher Hammers are for animals and not professionals. There is a specific tool for this job off Fiat and I will try and upload a picture later as if my late father saw me with a hammer near the timing belt area I know what he would do with the hammer Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
eugene

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »

Dave,it depends who's hands the hammer is with.I am not a butcher either.Sometimes a shock will release a bolt and i wonldn't use an air gun anywhere in the timing area.
You say there is a special tool for this job.Ok that's fine,but if the tool costs more than the engine is worth,is one supposed to buy this tool,when someone else come's up with an alternative tool....ie one simple tap of a hammer Grin.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
theredx19
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

I cant beleive anyone opens bolts on a PLASTIC pulley in a timing belt with a hammer, I can only imagine how you set the points in your car, pack of Major and the fine tuning hammer  Shocked Shocked
sid131

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »

I cant believe anyone would ask the question in the first place?
theredx19
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »

Sid there is no such thing as a stupid question but only stupid answers  Roll Eyes
eugene

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »

I think Dave theredx has an attitude problem Roll Eyes.
Robert asked for advice and now he has the pully off.Dave you gave your advice when Robert had the pully off.Your help was excellent for Robert.
All you do is criticize.For example.Take Mirafioriman.
Dave(Mirafioriman) is entitled to do as he pleases with his cars.They are his cars and he can cut them up should he wish to,but there is no need to take the piss.
You also say in another thread that you love to ram a merc from drive and then into first and listen to the engine scream.The only person who would do something like that is an idiot and anyone who would do that should be kept away from cars completly.Also that means not even being allowed in a car as a passenger.
So will the real butcher please stand up Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.Eugene

theredx19
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »

Well I must defend this as the Merc was my car which I did not like and only cost a couple of hundred quid so no loss there. As for me working on passenger cars I had the pleasure in helping to prepare one of the cars on the 3ma09 which seem to make the trip faultlessly but it is a beautiful machine credit to the owner. But with the kettle calling the pot black I have not issued any threats? Shocked Shocked, oh you might remember this comment "What you have done Dave is a very serious crime.What punishment should be meated out to you,well i will let the other forum members decide on this .Eugene". All I ever say is in jest or to help people from making terrible messes of their engines or cars through any poor advice which is handed out by anyone on the site as I am one of the few people with the special tools, manuals and ability to work on these machines and I have never held back on any 3 of these qualities? Grin Grin Grin. Oh and for your last comment I am sitting down comfortably so I hope you have stood up and taken a bow  Grin Grin Grin
Pleasent dreams? Grin,
Theredx19 "protector of all Fiats"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:57:05 PM by theredx19 » Logged
eugene

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:07:27 PM »

You maybe the protector of Fiats,but i can't say that you are the protector of Mercs only the Wrecker for them.
Eugene

theredx19
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 12:27:32 AM »

Maybe I am the wrecker of Mercs but damn it there is only one country that ever made great cars and that is Italy and sure if this not the case why else would we be here Undecided Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.