Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:36:16 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  fiat 131 20v turbo?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: fiat 131 20v turbo?  (Read 22860 times)
mirafiori76

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for you reply. I know the concept of a turbo, but i still don't understand why the owner of the car in this film has made this exhaust set-up. It doesn't add anything positive to the flow, because the header stands almost square to the cilinder head. I always learned that the system should be as short as possible. Therefor wouldn't it be better to have a short exhaust header?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:28:14 PM by mirafiori76 » Logged

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
lorf

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for you reply. I know the concept of a turbo, but i still don't understand why the owner of the car in this film has made this exhaust set-up. It doesn't add anything positive to the flow, because the header stands almost square to the hcilinder head. I always learned that the system should be as short as possible. Therefor wouldn't it be better to have a short exhaust header?

Maybe he did it like this because of the master break cylinder? To mutch heat so he tried to get the eksos
Away from the brake system, and maybe the starter?  Idont know.
124AC

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »

Hi Mike

Apologies, I was looking at the wrong picture!

You're right, it makes sense to route the pipes with as little flow restriction as possible.  The turbo needs to feel the full force of the incoming exhaust gas.

I have an Integrale and the limited space makes the manifold a compromise.  There are a number of improvements with tubular manifolds and they make a huge difference to the power and pickup.

Maybe we could try making and fitting a 'triflux' to a 131.  Imagine the bonnet bulge you'd need to fit that!

Thanks
Duncan

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
mirafiori76

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »

Maybe we could try making and fitting a 'triflux' to a 131.  Imagine the bonnet bulge you'd need to fit that!

Let's make a system like the one in Delta S4  Cheesy I don't know if it will fit under the bonnet but there will be no Ferrari to keep up... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

124AC

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »

Count me in!  Grin

It pays to look at other groups and manufacturers sometimes.

I used to run an Alfa in the owners club series and went to lots of meetings with various cars.  At one meeting there was an Italian Intermarque race.  This was a series where anything counted as long as it was Italian.  Following qualifying the cars would start in a reverse-grid.  The Fiat 500 on pole, and the Ferrari F40 at the back!

A guy turned up in an Alfa 75 with a 3litre V6.  This was injected, with 6 intake trumpets that looked like coke-cans.  They had fuelled the engine for max power through the rev range, but they ran out of time and made no allowance for the off-throttle fuelling.  The car had a separate exhaust for each cylinder bank that exited under the sill on each side.

The race began and the Alfa got passed on the 1st lap by a Ferrari 360 Challenge car.  He then spent 10 laps trying to overtake.  He was faster than the Ferrari and pushed hard all race.  The only thing that kept the Ferrari in front was it's width.

The lasting memory was the Alfa.  Every time he got close to passing and had to let-up, the flames from the unburnt fuel in the exhausts created flames higher than the roof of the car.  This made it look like some sort of Batmobile with flame-throwers.

A car as light as a 131 can be very fast without huge power.  Just have to work out how to keep it pointing forward.

Gee......... I miss driving a 131 every day!

Current Fleet:  124AC Coupe. Torque tube model.  Supermirafiori 2000 S3.   Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1700.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat.  Lancia Delta Integrale 8V Kat
vode131

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »

Green series 1 turbo is mine.  Wink Stock brakes and suspension.  Grin

I made this exhaust manifold with primary pipes that are roughly egual lenght so they can expand equal amount and manifold would not crack. I also wanted to keep alternator in its stock position. Primary pipe inside diameter is same as exhaust ports about 36 to 37mm.

Original differential broke down and I started to make room for bigger reartires and project got out of hands.

So I assembled this same 8v turbo in to my Supermirafiori which was later converted to 16v turbo engine.

Now I am slowly sourcing parts in the green one to make it full dragrace car. The parts I need are very expensive so it takes a lot of time to make money for them. Especially when I have other ongoing projects as well...

http://vode131.kuvat.fi/#/kuvat/Sekalaista/P1100342.JPG

http://vode131.kuvat.fi/#/kuvat/Sekalaista/P1160833.JPG
maxi.man

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »

ive thought about this for a project in the future not knowing anything about fiats   would you use the standard 131 gear box with a adaptor plate  anyone know   thanks
lorf

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »

ive thought about this for a project in the future not knowing anything about fiats   would you use the standard 131 gear box with a adaptor plate  anyone know   thanks

Hallo, I don't know if the fiat 131 gearbox fits. But after looking at pictures I do think it fits. But if it does I'm not so sure that it's strong enough. I have also thought about using a bmw e36 zf gearbox with an adapter plate because I know these gearboxes are strong, cheap, and easy to come by.
mirafiori76

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »

What is the estimated Bhp from a 20V engine? I know the 131 gearbox is very strong. However i don't know if it will fit the engine right away.

lorf

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »

What is the estimated Bhp from a 20V engine? I know the 131 gearbox is very strong. However i don't know if it will fit the engine right away.

The original bhp is 220, but I am aiming at 350-400HP.
When I had the old engine in the car I had to use an vw starter and I had to machine the clutch house to make it fit under the balance shafts of the lancia engine.
mirafiori76

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »

Then i think the gearbox will not be the problem (except for the fitting maybe). The problem lies with the differential. I don't think a standard diff can handle the power.

lorf

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

The car is currently fitted with an 132 rear axle. And I have used this with the old turbo engine and it haven't broke yet.
I was told that the 132 axle have thicker inner axles and therefore are stronger.
Tas131

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »

I've got a mate with 2 x 20V coupes, he said the 131 bellhousing and box would bolt up. If the starter location is an issue, a bellhousing from a 1600 pushrod motor would fit and put the starter on the opposite side. The earlier boxes had a smaller input shaft bearing, these are required to fit the 1600 pushrod bellhousing.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
lorf

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »

Thanks! This is the kind of information I need Smiley
Does anyone know if the 20vt engine have balance shafts?
Bubu125

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »

Any news on the work?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.