Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:09:21 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Getting ready for 3ma13 (or maybe not...)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting ready for 3ma13 (or maybe not...)  (Read 10258 times)
Rob 131

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »

Good Advice

You can't beat a good home oil change  Grin. Haven't done one for years  Cheesy Lat time would have been on Mrs Rob 131's 2001 Met Green Punto ELX in 2005.

I would do 'home servicing' on my 131 and other cars when I was younger Grin Grin.

Happy times Grin Grin.

Would love a 131 to tinker with Cheesy

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

DO NOT USE PINK ANTI FREEZE IN OLD CARS

I've used 5-year antifreeze (usually red) in my cars for years without problems. While I've heard reports that they shouldn't be used in older (pre-1998?) cars there are no such warnings on the actual  products. But just to be on the safe side, the 131 is now filled with blue coloured Bluecol  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
c.a.c131

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 09:41:24 PM »

if i may be so bold as to but in here, the drained antifreeze in the container appears to be pink, IE the acid type, (christophers top tip), DO NOT USE PINK ANTI FREEZE IN OLD CARS, IT IS DESIGHNED FOR MODERN ALLOY COMPOSITE ENGINE BLOCKS AND WILL DESTROY AN OLD ENGINE ATTACKING PLASTIC AND RUBBER SEALS AND IS PROBABLY WHY YOUR HOSE SPLIT IN THE 1ST PLACE, ALL MINE ARE ORIGINAL, NO ISSUES, STRONGLY RECCOMEND FLUSHING THE SYSTEM THROUGH AND USING BLUE OR GREEN, SEE THIS MONTHS PRACTICAL CLASSICS MAG.

Yes Christopher you are right about the pink coolant never use it in a classic's, use the blue or green & evans waterless coolant is the best to use it's expensive but lasts a life time Smiley

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »

evans waterless coolant is the best to use it's expensive but lasts a life time Smiley

Have you used that? I was thinking of using it in the Gamma. I saw it used in Wheeler Dealers and I spoke to the suppliers at length at the last NEC classic car motorshow but I'm still sceptical about spending over ?100 on coolant. Especially as Gammas have the nasty habit of just emptying their coolant when they feel like it  Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
c.a.c131

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 10:22:26 PM »

evans waterless coolant is the best to use it's expensive but lasts a life time Smiley

Have you used that? I was thinking of using it in the Gamma. I saw it used in Wheeler Dealers and I spoke to the suppliers at length at the last NEC classic car motorshow but I'm still sceptical about spending over ?100 on coolant. Especially as Gammas have the nasty habit of just emptying their coolant when they feel like it  Undecided

I used it in a classic mini I have Smiley I replaced all the coolant system as the car has only a few a 1000's miles and had not been used the last 10 years. You have to have all the water out as evans will only work with 3% water in the system & you have to drain the old coolant then fill it up with the evans Prep Fluid to get the rest of the water out, and drain again but you can use it 4 times.

I plan to have it in all my cars as it lasts a life time, waterless and no overheating and no pressure in the system you can take the rad cap off when it's hot and it only lets out a little pop like opening a bottle of coke, no hot water to burn you or coolant all over the engine bay Shocked its mad Grin

1980 Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport/Racing, 1981 Fiat 131 S2 Supermirafiori Panorama 1600/TC.
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

DO NOT USE PINK ANTI FREEZE IN OLD CARS

I've used 5-year antifreeze (usually red) in my cars for years without problems. While I've heard reports that they shouldn't be used in older (pre-1998?) cars there are no such warnings on the actual  products. But just to be on the safe side, the 131 is now filled with blue coloured Bluecol  Grin
 one lets the system rust to seal the system the other inibits rust , and they should never meet as  they turn to
 thick gooooo u cant get out .. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
 many new 500 ruined  Shocked

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »

Ah  Shocked maybe that's why the heater stopped working in my Gamma  Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.