Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 08:23:50 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  how to repair a head lining properly and permanently
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how to repair a head lining properly and permanently  (Read 9164 times)
strada

« on: March 18, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

as virtually all of you will know we suffer from droopy head linings in our 131's numerous things have been tried from all kinds of glues, double sided sticky pads and even staples and tacks mostly without success!!

1st the compleat panel must be removed, from the car and turned upside down on a table or similar.the head lining matiriel will pull away from the cardboard backing very easily. if its in good condition brilliant and it can be re used.  mine was not very good so i put it in the washing machine. BIG MISTAKE,DO NOT DO THIS, it discintegrated in to a cottonwool like substance and totally blocked up the machine (repairbill ?87 plus vat). i sourced a replacement sheet of  foam backed materiel from a local upholsterer for a tenner.

now the problem many pople think is damp but it is actually the opposite, the foambacking dries out and discintegrates, you need to remove all traces of the powderey substance, this is best done with a vacuum cleaner and brush attatchment,. wear a mask if possible, this is very nasty stuff if breathed in.

* Photo-0030.jpg (68.2 KB, 800x600 - viewed 679 times.)

my name is chris reynolds, i currently own 2x supermirafiori mk3, strada 65cl, strada75cl auto, strada super85 convertable, strada 105tc mk1, strada105tc mk2
strada

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »

now the clever bit, the card board backing is very dry and porous, any glue will be soaked up and too dry before you can apply any materiel. the answer is this, pop down to yoor local DIY store on a sunday and search out the end of line bargain buckets whereyou will be able to find a pot of emulsion paint for less than a quid. colour is not important. but makes sense to be a light colour, now apply a good thick coat to the backing board,the 1st coat will soak in, then the second coat will give you a nice firm surface for glue to adhere to.

* Photo-0031.jpg (63.14 KB, 800x600 - viewed 688 times.)

* Photo-0032.jpg (66.61 KB, 800x600 - viewed 670 times.)

my name is chris reynolds, i currently own 2x supermirafiori mk3, strada 65cl, strada75cl auto, strada super85 convertable, strada 105tc mk1, strada105tc mk2
strada

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

next stage is spray glue, needless to say, dont buy the cheap stuff. i got mine from a kit car interior supplier. it needs to be the type that withstands high temperatures. start in the middle and work outwards. if reusing an old lining a certain degree of skill is reguired to line up the holes for interior lamp/sunvisors etc. i used new materiel so had to re cut these holes.

i know not all of you will agree with me, but i have used this method on three stradas and both my 131's and not had a problem yet

* Photo-0034.jpg (60.57 KB, 800x600 - viewed 695 times.)

kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »

Looks very good Chris - Did you take pictures of the removal and re-installation process?  Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:48:04 PM »

Nice job and a great tip about the emulsion paint to seal the liner before bonding. From experience it's definitely easier using new material.

There were two types of headliner fitted, board and polystyrene. Guess which is the easiest to do Roll Eyes

As for removal and reinstallation it's pretty straightforward. It will (on a four door) come out through a door aparture if you're careful. Never done it on a two door but I assume it would come out through a front door as these are longer than on a four door.

I guess estate ones would need to come out through the tailgate Cheesy

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Walker

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »

This is very interesting because I was just about to do mine. When I removed the cloth there was about 2 inches of foam which because of the age had turned to dust.
After the foam was removed I was surprised to find nothing but bare metal of the bottom of the roof. Do all the 131's have this board? Is the board then glued to the roof and cloth attached? Where would you find ths board?

Could you show pictures of it being installed so I can decide on how to procede.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »

I've never seen one without a board or polystyrene liner. Is it possible that the liner had been removed at some time on your car?

I think Yagmur has/had new roof linings. The problem is the shipping as they are so large.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
williefiat

Fiat fun

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »

Hi All.
Thank's Chris great advice i'm just about to fix my roof on my 2 Litre Super. I will follow your instructions
and hope i get it right.
   Willie.
idahobrava

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:45:38 AM »

Great info,  I also had to do this job on my car, i wanted to say to others in the forum to test any type of spray adhesive that is used on the polysyrene or styrofoam panel.  Some glues will eat the panel as soon as contact is made.  The spray glue that reacted to the panel was made by 3m and it would have been a disaster if i had not tested it in a piece of foam. Mike 
Walker

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »

You are right having it shipped from Turkey would be too expensive. I still can not figure out why mine did not have one. Maybe it had turned to dust with the foam. Would a head liner from a four door work on a two door? I would think they are pretty much standard.

If anyone with a restored headliner could post pictures, or the process of putting it back together would be helpful. It may give me some ideas.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »

Not sure if the four door and two door liners are the same but I'm sure a four door one could be made to fit Wink

strada

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »

Looks very good Chris - Did you take pictures of the removal and re-installation process?  Smiley
i took it out and re installed it with the rear window not fitted, so no problems, on a 4door you need to remove the passenger seat and it will go through one of the rear doors with some light bending

mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

It will also come out of a door with the seats fitted if you recline them fully. I think I took mine out of the front door but I'm not totally sure it could have been a back door Undecided

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.