Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:44:18 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  rear suspension upgrade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: rear suspension upgrade  (Read 7084 times)
131DHOC

« on: July 02, 2010, 07:42:49 AM »

hello, I'm in trouble with rear suspension, it's about a 131 with LPG reservoir in the trunk which weights a lot, until now was fitted with a couple of auxiliary springs in place of rubber ends in rear axle. Now the non standard part is broken, and I face with the possibility of change the whole thing with a pair of 131 panorama rear springs with possibly panorama shock adsorbers, but my mechanic says the car will become unstable on road. The LPG reservoir loads 30-40Kg empty, and panoramas weight 65Kg more than berlina. So I thought could be ok because the more weight is similar.  Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Tas131

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »

I have an LPG cylinder in the rear of my car, with heavier springs all round, Koni red adjustables on the rear and Koni yellow adjustable on the front it sticks like shit to a blanket. Do you still have the petrol tank installed? My LPG cylinder is fitted between the rear strut towers in place of the petrol tank. With a litre of LPG weighing about 500g and a litre of petrol weighing about 750g I figure a full tank of LPG isn't going to be too much heavier than a full tank of petrol.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
131DHOC

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »

I have an LPG cylinder in the rear of my car, with heavier springs all round, Koni red adjustables on the rear and Koni yellow adjustable on the front it sticks like shit to a blanket. Do you still have the petrol tank installed? My LPG cylinder is fitted between the rear strut towers in place of the petrol tank. With a litre of LPG weighing about 500g and a litre of petrol weighing about 750g I figure a full tank of LPG isn't going to be too much heavier than a full tank of petrol.

I still have the original fuel tank so LPG is back and affects heavily rear suspension, as you know the farer is load from springs, the heavier is torque that lowers suspension. So I need to reform back suspension. Anybody experienced in panorama suspension?
djape1977

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »

just get yourself a pair of stiffer springs. ones from panorama will do nicely and, if available in your part of the world, rear springs from lada are excellent replacement since they are exactly the same lenght and diameter but available in 3 diferent stifness levels, ones marked with yellow stripe being the hardest

get a bigger hammer!
131DHOC

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »

stiffer springs are exactly what I want but my mechanic says that the car will become unstable because of the harder springs especially bending over irregular surfaces. I tryied to tell him that additional 45Kg of LPG tank will stick the car to the road but he's almost 60 and not prone to change idea. And if I fit panorama shock absorbers too with new springs?
djape1977

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »

i have LPG along with original petrol tank in 3 of my cars including 131 and stiffer springs are what you need. you don't need to change the shocks.
if i remember correctly, panorama's shocks are completely diferent to ordinary 131, they arent mounted tru rear springs but on the side, at an angle towards the centre of the car. if it's so, upper shock mount is also different

get a bigger hammer!
131DHOC

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »

and do you know if panorama springs are useful and not too stiff?
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »

In my car I have fitted springs from Mercedes 123 which is almost 2 tonnes heavy. My car runs smoothly and I don't see why yours would have a problem... Wink

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
131DHOC

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »

well I think maybe front and rear suspension should be same type to achieve stability when bending so if I change rear without front modification the whole thing will not armonize...... Huh
djape1977

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »

and do you know if panorama springs are useful and not too stiff?

most likely that they will do just fine. only one way to be sure though....

get a bigger hammer!
djape1977

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »

well I think maybe front and rear suspension should be same type to achieve stability when bending so if I change rear without front modification the whole thing will not armonize...... Huh

not really. you see, there's an anty roll bar at the front and none in the rear. installing stiffer springs in the back reduces bodyroll of the rear end, therefore the whole car. at least that's how it is on my cars

get a bigger hammer!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.