Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:42:33 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  16v head
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 16v head  (Read 4593 times)
124 man

« on: December 27, 2009, 04:20:06 PM »

What is involved fitting later 16v head to early block  ie gaskets studs belt ?

Keeper of 124s 125 &  132
Tas131

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:21:54 AM »

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/index.php

Thwere used to be a 16V section but it was moved to the "Tech talk" section. A search through that should yield a bit of information.

http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Walezy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:34:41 AM »

Here is what you need.
- complete head
-16v head gasket(neccesary as it has different coolant passages then 8v)
-16v headbolts
-16v pistons - best will be tipo 1,8 16v pistons as they have small dome or custom made forged pistons. 8V pistons can be modified to fit 16v head but you need to be careful not to make the CR too low. you want something about 10,5 - 11:1
-custom made exhaust manifold(i did mine according to Guy Croft diameters and length and worked perfectly - 18HP hain over the old design that i had) 72cm long 38mm ID primaries and 42cm(or was it 35?) 42mm ID secondaries. rest was 50mm ID and one muffler

As for ignition you can use standard distributor mounted in head but you need to install about 100mm extension turret to install distributor higher so that it does not foul with exhaust manifold.
The other option(in my opinion far better) is to use 36-1 trigger wheel and use MS v3.0 with wheel decoder option to run 4 coil on plugs from Audi, it fits neatly to Fiat head and runs really good.

For fuelling you can use Megasquirt and for example 4 throttle bodies even from a motorbike or install a set of DCOE carbs. IDF carbs probably will stand out of the bonnet in 131- at least this is how it was in my car but i had custom manifold.

If you plan to install it in 131 then you will had small problem with firewall as it will have to be moved back for about 2cm. The heater will still fit.

Cooling system - you can take front coolant plug out and make a pipe that will go to radiator like it is in 8v. It will be good to use outlet in the rear for heater as then the coolant circuit will be the same as in 8v.

This is basically it, and it works very good on all TC engines. The torque is better as well as the power output, you will be satisfied with this conversion.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.