Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 06:47:55 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Older brother - Younger brother
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Older brother - Younger brother  (Read 7520 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: May 03, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »

The 124 Sport & 131 Sport go together like fish & chips.

The younger model is obviously from the same blood line although there are some key differences.

Both were Fiat's solution to the customer who wanted something a bit more special than the ordinary family berlinas, some extra go under the bonnet and visual lines to indicate that these cars were the top of their ranges.

The 124 (older brother) was from an era when Fiat could afford a completely different set of clothes for the Sports version. The lines of the car especially with that almost impossibly thin C pillar were stylish and modern. The 131 (younger brother) on the other hand was launched in a more austere decade and had to make do with the basic bodyshell although capitalising on the Abarth version's rally success was also a determining factor. Instead of a different shell, the sports version received a pretty comprehensive cosmetic make over compared with the basic 2 door.

Well none of this is new information to anyone reading this site. Why write it now? Well today I had my first drive in a 124 Sport - A car that I have admired for years especially in CC format. The car itself belongs to a very friendly chap called Tom who has a long association with sporty Fiats. We met up today to have a chat and take some photos of the 2 cars together. Once we had the shots we began talking about the cars and Tom offered his keys to take the car for a short spin. I reciprocated and we began our drive back from our venue (Glen of Aherlow). I only drove the car for about 5 miles but it is in the driving experience that the cars are most obviously different.

You sit lower in the 124 with the steering wheel and gear stick much closer. The 1756cc twin cam appears to rev that much more quickly and willingly supporting the statement that I read somewhere that the 1800cc unit is sweeter than the 1995cc version. The main inputs (steering, throttle and brakes) seem to have that more immediate response than the 131 - Not that surprising I guess when you remember the original basis for each car - The 124 being designed from the outset as a sports car.

It was impossible to say which car was quicker as I didn't really extend the 124 - Initial impressions were that ultimately the 131 might just out drag the 124 but it would be close either way! Which one would I prefer? Well if I was wishing to zip around some country lanes I would take the 124 first but if I wanted a car that I could do that with (maybe with not quite the same edge) as well as one that?I would gladly drive to Scotland in, the 131 would be my first choice. Well would you expect any different from a 131 nutcase like me..? Grin? Roll Eyes

Enjoy the pics...

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

Isee the 124 has uk plates.Yesterday my friends Pugeot 607 was taken by the coustom&excise for having Uk reg plates.She only imported it 3 weeks ago.They arrived at her house at 7am and took it away.She was told that there is a major crackdown on imported cars not being cleared.There is a 1200euro fine on having plates in yellow and the plates must not have scrol lettering.Even if you have cleared the car and have not changed the plates,they can still take your car,however that 124 is a nice car as is yours Kev.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
eugene

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »

Kev,having looked at your car again,your reg plates are also illegal.Why?you don't have the European flag nor Eire or Irl in the plates and that lettering is also illegal on those plates.Meet a bad minded Garda and he or she can penalise you to the tune of a nasty fine Wink.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
nigel131sport

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:30:58 PM »

what about 127 sport and 131 sport going together? Grin
sid131

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »

Ha Ha Ha tell that to my neighbour who is driving a bmw 6 series on 07 english plates i took my celica in sickened me to hand over the cash to them, love the 124 sport had a white one 25 years ago with a yellow velour interior & webasto full lenght sunroof, thats what did the damage it smelled of damp was a good driver not as quick as the 131 different made a few quid on it all the same think it went to wexford or wicklow sold at the auctions in santree for ?500 tried to sell a supermirafiori at the same auction only made ?250 wanted ?600 so not sold reg of the 131 was GZY 2 1978 it swam across the border lol was a northern yoke once in its lifetime
sid131

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »

My mate has a black 127 sport, its all his fault i found this site & now own a 131 sport, happy happy days.
eugene

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »

Yes Sid,it is not a nice feeling to have to give your hard earned cash to the state and to add insult to injury,to think that they have the power to seize your car is down right disgusting
As to kevs reg plates,the are totally illegal.The lettering should be in black and not white and the plate background should be white and not black.I am surprised how you pass the NCT with those plates.
When i took one of my Lada Nivas to be tested with incorrect reg plates,they refused to pass it until i fitted the correct ones.
Kev those plates do look well on your car,but it ain't me who makes the laws Roll Eyes.Eugene

brensport
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »

The story with the plates is the irl and eu logo only have to appear from jan 91 and from jan 87 plates had to be a white background with black print and before that they can be black and silver, black and red, white and red and failure to comply is an offence as it is a sign that the duty is not paid even if it is Grin Grin
theredx19
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »

Well Kev are you going to change loyalties now but next time you are down my way call in and give my little 1600 coupe a run and give it a hard drive like the Italians would have back in the day Grin Grin Grin
sid131

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »

In 1978 the plate colours were black letters on a white background on the front & black letters on a red background on the rear, but as being a 78 it wont need any more NCTs, i have black plates on the celica ta23 & its 76, but i once had a corolla gti 1989 that the customs & cops told me that its plates were illegal without the euro sign & handed me a printed letter stating that all 1990 on cars onward had to have the euro sign & the county & i pointed at the plates & said the car is 89 so it doesnt qualify for that law & the cop told me to watch out & not be cheeky to a garda or he would do me & i said what for & he said dont worry he would think of something, thats one reason i have no respect for those C**nts
theredx19
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 08:00:47 PM »

well I can tell you that member of the gardai was wrong with what he said as the nct will give you all the info on plates and your plates must be legal regardless of being nct exempt as all cars must be in roadworthy condition at all times.....
sid131

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 09:24:58 PM »

That was then this is now i want no hassle from the gardai older & wiser when i first got the celica it was the time of the foot & mouth scare in 2001 & most of the cops asked what is it? & how old is it? was 2 years older than 1 garda, but those lads were shipped here for that job, upset one of the local brigade & they have you clocked! know what i mean?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.