Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:37:20 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Which Battery?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Battery?  (Read 21370 times)
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

An interesting aside is that as the current output of the alternator increases the charge voltage can often decrease.

Conversely on many battery chargers the charge voltage will often increase as the current drops as the battery charges. This can be avoided by using a regulated power supply which supplies a constant output voltage whatever the current draw.

For powerful batteries see here Shocked

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:36:24 AM »

... my experience suggests that the amp rating of the alternator must match both electricity use in the car as well as the capacity of the battery. Does this make more sense or should I take my Basic Electricity 101 class again  Angry Grin Smiley Huh Huh   

Miro

At least half of that is right Miro  Wink Grin The alternator should certainly match the electricity use in the car (and have a little bit extra to give to the battery) but there's no alternator match to the capacity of the battery.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
david

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »

I had a 1987 Lancia Thema turbo in I think 97 ? this car was an LS so had electric everything and air conditioning and the alternator failed. This alternator was a bosch unit either 95 amp or 110 amp ? Now from experience with alternators 99% of the time the fault is with the brush block regulator in the back so I fitted a 45 amp brush block regulator from a sport and it worked perfectly and never gave any trouble.
theredx19
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »

Why not fit a DRY CELL unit as it will be one less liquid in the car so removing another rust issue
sid131

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »

Jim McGuigan has gel batteries he is the man!
theredx19
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »

Daft Dave is the man as we need him running the country  Shocked Shocked Shocked
sid131

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »

No Jim Mcguigan is yer man Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
parrish

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »

075 60AH looks like the one.
Thanks guys.
Steve

Miro: ill contat Allison Automtive and see what prices are like.

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
paulcas

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »

The recommended battery for a 131 is an 078.

[/quote]

Theo,
would you recommend a maintenance free or non-maintenance free 078 battery?
parrish

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »

078 has the terminals in the wrong place for my car.
Currently the negative terminal is nearest the front of the car.
075 seems to be the right way around.
Steve

miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 10:53:18 PM »

... my experience suggests that the amp rating of the alternator must match both electricity use in the car as well as the capacity of the battery. Does this make more sense or should I take my Basic Electricity 101 class again  Angry Grin Smiley Huh Huh   

Miro

At least half of that is right Miro  Wink Grin The alternator should certainly match the electricity use in the car (and have a little bit extra to give to the battery) but there's no alternator match to the capacity of the battery.

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »

078 has the terminals in the wrong place for my car.
Currently the negative terminal is nearest the front of the car.
075 seems to be the right way around.
Steve

Are you sure Steve? Maybe my ailing memory is failing me again  Huh But with an 075 having the negative terminal towards the front of the car the battery poles will be away from the inner wing. That'll mean that the positive lead will have to stretch to reach. It can be done as I currently have an 075 on my car but an 078 with the negative terminal towards the front will have its poles nearest the inner wing and therefore the positive terminal will reach easier.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
parrish

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

Hi Theo,
the little things your learn on this web site are invaluable, it seems i have the wrong battery fitted and its the wrong way around! (see photos).
Ive changed my mind now seems i need a 078 and route the cables the way they should be.
Steve.

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »

Yes Steve, that's an 075 battery the wrong way round. But it looks as if someone has replaced the brown wire connected to the positive terminal with two thinner ones (this should be the wire that goes to the alternator) and in your case it's long enough to go round the washer bottle. Normally there's a thick brown wire coming from a connector near the inner wing that's not long enough to go round the washer bottle.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
theredx19
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »

Why dont you positive earth the battery as this removes alot of the rust risk as most machines are wired this way and they never disolve like a 131  Shocked
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.