Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:56:17 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Fuel Injected Twin Cam
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuel Injected Twin Cam  (Read 15567 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: November 05, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »

Hi - I'm thinking of buying a Fiat 132 2000 but it is the rarer fuel injected version producing an extra 10 bhp over standard (122 bhp).

Looking at the engine it looks a lot different from the standard set up and I was wondering if there were any views out there on the following:

How easy is it to find parts?
What are they like to work on?
How reliable is the set up once serviced? The car in question has done 119,000 kms.

The engine is not listed in Phil Ward's book on the TC under the 132 engines list but it looks like it appears under the Beta and Trevi ranges.

Some other engine specs (between the carb 132 & the injected Beta) compare as follows:

132 engine series: 132C2 000 (or 132D1 000)
Beta engine series: 828B4 000

Bore & Stroke : 84x90 for both.

Compression ratio: 8.9:1 for both

Here are some pics.  Smiley

I would appreciate some insights especially from anyone who runs this engine.  Wink

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:35:39 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
theredx19
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »

Kevin buy the car as all you need to know is there are 2 nutters in Laois who can get all the parts you need in a matter of days and I even have the original testing tool for the fuel system and even wired up one of them before my junior cert as it is the most simplistic system out there. Just give me a shout if you want any info
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »

Dave is right, it is a very simple system so don't be scared by it at all. It's the BOSCH L-Jetronic system which was fitted to many cars back in the 80s. Here's some reading for you http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/fiatFI_may2002.pdf.

The system was the first mass produced fully electronic system and as well as many Fiats and Lancias it was used on BMWs, Opels, Volvos etc so parts are readily available. It has a simple air flow meter/throttle position sensor  which rarely gives trouble and is easily adjusted (just like a carburettor!) and a temperature sensor. It fires all injectors at the same time so there are no positioning sensors to go wrong; in fact there's very little to go wrong. The only thing that might give some trouble is dirty injectors but they can be easily cleaned and also still available from most BOSCH stockists (but a bit pricey at just over ?100 each).  

I thought the fuel injected Fiats were just for the USA market so where is this car coming from?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:53:56 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »

The 132 came with FI on the continent as did the Argenta. I think a few series 2 FI Argentas made it to the UK too.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »

Dave is right, it is a very simple system so don't be scared by it at all. It's the BOSCH L-Jetronic system which was fitted to many cars back in the 80s. Here's some reading for you http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/fiatFI_may2002.pdf.

The system was the first mass produced fully electronic system and as well as many Fiats and Lancias it was used on BMWs, Opels, Volvos etc so parts are readily available. It has a simple air flow meter/throttle position sensor  which rarely gives trouble and is easily adjusted (just like a carburettor!) and a temperature sensor. It fires all injectors at the same time so there are no positioning sensors to go wrong; in fact there's very little to go wrong. The only thing that might give some trouble is dirty injectors but they can be easily cleaned and also still available from most BOSCH stockists (but a bit pricey at just over ?100 each).  

I thought the fuel injected Fiats were just for the USA market so where is this car coming from?

That's good news Theo and Dave (thanks for the prompt and reassuring comments Wink) although it does look like the car needs additional and different servicing or replacement parts compared with the carb model, eg sensors and injectors and the air filter may be a different version from the routine ?5 version that fits most other Fiats.

The car is originally from Switzerland but as Dave says they were available across the continent from 1980, I think. Strangely enough I have a choice of 5 LHD 132 2000s at the moment although none of them are really saying "buy me" - All in drab colours or not in good enough condition. I'm still regretting letting that red 8000 mile minter slip through my fingers! This Fi car seems the best of the bunch at the moment..... Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Sev131

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »

Kev, doesn't James Nicholson from the UK have one of these fitted to one of his 132's? Surely he must be able to advise you on his experience. Also, didn't some of the 124 spiders have this option fitted?
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »

Air filters often come up on ebay and I think K&N do one which then means you don't have to find any more new ones!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
djape1977

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »

fi argentas vere quite common in my part of the world and i've never heard of anyone having problems with it!

get a bigger hammer!
miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:12:22 AM »

Eugene,

This is a slightly newer version I have in my 124 spider CS0 (1980)

The picture attached shows this newer version probably in Spider Europa.

(The difference is practically limited to the way the gasoline is heated by the coolant. 

Anyway , this FI setup based on Bosch Jetronic is very very good, No problems provided you change the fuel filter every year.   

All model specific part readily available new from places like Spiderpoint  in Germany.

You will really love the way it revs , and the acceleration it delivers .

I believe this is one be the best setups for fiat DOHC 2.,0   

Miro

* 124 fi engine .jpg (66.39 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2459 times.)

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
MarkoH

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »

And I still have an engine like this for sale... Only 8000 km:s. Yes - 8000

Marko Hannula
Mynamaki, Finland

Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130 TC -86
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth -86
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »

Hmmm a fuel injected 131 Sport. That could be interesting.... just need some "Brava" badges....

I remember years ago reading an article about a new Aston Martin which was downgraded (or should that be "upgraded" from fuel injection to SIX twin Webbers and the car was better to drive and with better performance (no mention of fuel economy but that was not important those days). Presumambly that would have been a mechanical fuel injection system (possibly K Jetronic).

Interestingly, the Series 1 2.5L Lancia Gamma with a carburettor has 140bhp and the series 2 cars with L-Jetronic injection also have 140bhp. Apparently the camshafts were changed in series 2 cars to make the cars more drivable while retaining the same engine power but everyone tells me that the carburettored cars are better to drive and feel faster!

Similarly the Lancia Beta had 2 litre engines with carburettor rated at 115bhp and then L-Jetronic was added and increased power to 122bhp but people still claim the carburettor cars are better to drive. Same story with Maserati Biturbos. The 2 litre engines went from carburettor to Webber-Marelli fuel injection and the larger engined cars went from 2.5 litre carburettor to 2.8 litre fuel injection. I own a 2.5 litre carburettor car and have driven plenty of 2.8 litre fuel injected Maseratis but I prefer the 'feistyness' of the carburettor cars.

I think the moral of that boring story above is that I like carburettors  Wink  I better get back to work now.....  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:04:01 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
pavlos

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »

hi everyone again   I hope you are all good       I have also one of this engines    I bougth it because someone put a turbo from a lancia hf 1600 carb        the engine worked and it was about 180 hp before it breaks     I was hopping do the same  and put it in my 131      does any one have any tecnical advice on this??? kev there is a 132 here in greece in a very good contition do you want me ask for you Huh
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »

Hello Pavlos,

You can't just take a Turbo out of a Lancia HF and bolt it onto a Fiat Twin cam  Roll Eyes You might get 180bhp for a short while before the engine blows up; but it will blow up sooner than later!  Shocked  Engines are designed to run a certain amount of pressure in the cylinder (as well as on internal parts). By adding a turbo to an already high compression engine you'll end up with far too much pressure when the turbo is going. An old bodge for overcoming this problem was to add two cylinder head gaskets therefore reducing the compression of the engine but that's really not the way to do it.  Tune the engine the old fashioned way and you can get 180 bhp without a turbo. If you really want to go the turbo route then have a look at www.turbo124.com or visit Guy Croft's website for excellent technical advice.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
pavlos

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »

thotos hi  i know about turbo 124   i am not talking for 300   400  hp    i  was thinking for a light turbo (0.3   0.4bar)   and with small changes at engine
theredx19
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »

The link in this is for the USA limit 83 form of l jetronic which is a closed loop system and has alot more to it then the standard open loop system and also had a different maintenance and tuning procedure. But as for the HF turbo job running that low a boost would be safe but you can get decompression plates for the twin cams if you wanted to wind up the boost but use the turbo exhaust valves or run a richer mixture to keep the valves cooler...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.