Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 12:25:59 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  weird electrical issue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: weird electrical issue  (Read 2719 times)
skumandeth

« on: February 19, 2014, 05:45:17 PM »

I'm have a weird electrical problem with my '75 131.  The ignition switch is very weak and I have wired relays in series, between the switch to headlights, also from the switch to accessories.  Since intalling the extra headlight relay the lights work great.  The second relay improved the voltage going to the accessories but, now I have a strange quirk.  If I switch just the park lights on it kills the car, everything goes dead.  Turn them off, or put headlight switch fully on everything works fine.  The only wiring diagram I have is one from an Autobook manual.  Unfortunately it is tiny and VERY hard to read.  Anybody have any ideas to what circuit, or what I might have done wrong.  Also, was curious if any one knows what the relay behind the rear window defogger switch is for, it is missing and appears to have suffered a meltdown at some point.  Thanx for any help 
131DHOC

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »

the relay that your first series has behind the switch is to feed the defogger, that absorbs so much current that the switch cannot hold it. If I understand what you say, I presume that a previous owner took off the relay pretending the switch to hold the whole current, and so burnt the switch. About the rest, I have had a worn out ignition switch on my 131, that after 20 years of use ended up with lots of issues, for example I could not switch off the engine, or I could not switch on the lights, so I just suggest you to try a new or used but working ignition switch. Mine after changing was dismantled and I could see that it was extremely worn and loose.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.