Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:33:36 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 sport front suspension tops!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 sport front suspension tops!  (Read 3652 times)
parrish

« on: July 02, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »

Im confused!
Just refitted front suspension, strut tops are alarming me.
I dont have the type as shown in the 'Haynes Manual'
From under the car I have a spring carrier (top) that slots into an inverted piece carrying a nylon bush, then from the top i have a rubber central bush that carries the central strut.
What is alarming me is that it appears the central rubber section carries the central strut and that their is far to much up and down movement to allow the strut to operate as a damper, and im worried that the first big bump and the strut rod will be pushed through the bonnet?
Re-assembly was the same as dismantling.
Any comments?

see attached photo of strut top.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:41:48 AM by parrish » Logged

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Walezy

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »

I am not sure if there was a steel cup that prevented the strut to go any higher than lower part of the top mounting. There should be something like this. As I say I am not sure as i use top mounts from opel astra GSi which is easier to get new and has a ball bearing on top. If you wish to make such conversion then it is about 3-4 hours of work as all you need to do is to weld a new top of the turret from that opel.

parrish

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 03:30:53 PM »

Maybe the rubber is too old as the stfrut top just tams around and when i push the front wing down the strut comes up a lot? The strut top also moves from side to side with the rubber!
Maybe i need to re think the top struts, i do have a set of the other ones shown in the haynes manual but the large hole in the existing top is too large and the bolt holes are on a different diameter?
Any suggestions?

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.