Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:50:10 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  lowering front/rear suspension on 131R
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lowering front/rear suspension on 131R  (Read 10988 times)
tex

« on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »

What is the best way to archieve say a 25mm lower than standard 131R. What type make/model spring is best? What shock make /model is best without spending heaps of $$$?
sid131

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

looking for this info myself, when you lower a car you need adjustable panhard rod also
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 11:48:48 AM by sid131 » Logged
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »

Course not , just cut a couple of rings off the coils . only if your going serious circuit racing you need to get them speciely made up springs but monroe and koni ,spax did the shocks but that was years ago you could get them rebuilt if you can't find old stock somewhere
jason

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
sid131

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »

Course not , just cut a couple of rings off the coils . only if your going serious circuit racing you need to get them speciely made up springs but monroe and koni ,spax did the shocks but that was years ago you could get them rebuilt if you can't find old stock somewhere
jason
why bother post to get an answer like that? looking for proper info ! you cant go cutting springs & expect the car to perform & yes if you car is lowered you do need an adjustable panhard rod & some rollcenter adjusters at the front.
parrish

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »

You cant just go cutting springs! This has been discussed many times here and on other forums (if someone can find the link would they post it please) the reasons are many and ill leave it to someone else to explain why, but basically spring rates will change and the spring will not sit correctly on its base this can ccause the spring to dislodge itself during driving.
I achieved a 25-30mm lower stance by buying some lower stiffer springs when they became available (advertised here on this forum a while ago), the seller might be able to help you with the make and supplier if he reads this thread. I had to wait a long time for them to come along, you may have to wait awhile yourself.
Regards
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
sid131

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »

Hi Steve if you remember who you bought them off will you forward me the contact details? thanks Nick.
parrish

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »

Hi Sid,
i think you read it wrong, i BOUGHT the springs off someone else.
Ill keep my eyes open for you, best thing you can do is put a posting in the wanted section, and be patient.
Steve
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:30:17 AM by parrish » Logged

sid131

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »

Hi Steve sorry but this is what i read & what you wrote

"I achieved a 25-30mm lower stance by buying some lower stiffer springs when they became available (advertised here on this forum a while ago), the seller might be able to help you with the make and supplier if he reads this thread. I had to wait a long time for them to come along, you may have to wait awhile yourself.
Regards
Steve"

i can wait as long as it takes to get a set of springs but what i asked was if you can remember the sellers name & contact details i would appreciate them, thats if you bought them new.
tex

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:43:08 PM »

Would anyone be able to help with model of adjustable panhard rod? and make /model of springs? I found this shock on ebay...any thoughts to its suitability?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-131-FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-NEW_W0QQitemZ330274555716QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10382QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
sid131

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »

Hi Tex i am getting new adjustable 4 links made up for the rear axle & will be making up adjustable panhard rod myself cos i have tried everywhere on the net & they dont seem to exist,"thought performance parts for the celica were hard to find" but aussie131 on the forum may be able to help, i will be getting poly bushes off him soon, thats as soon as i get the racing towels sorted, 1 thing at a time me thinks.
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »

The shocks on ebay are just standard patern  not uprated ....cutting springs was all we had in the ole days
 and every body and his cat did it  and cutting off the top bit on variable rate spring stiffens it alot , and yes you can heat (not too much to alter the temper of the steel ) the last 3/4 up to make a new seat.

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »

Try The Mancunion Spring Company (should be on the web) I think they will manufacture springs to your design and spec.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
parrish

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 02:27:35 AM »

Sorry Sid old age getting to me Grin
I cant remember the user ID that i bought the Springs from, it was someone on this forum, thing is ive bought so much here and their over the years its difficult to remember names.
They were not new anyway.
Regards
Steve

sid131

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »

Thanks Steve will find springs somewhere probably in Oz or Italy!
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »

Hi why no go to a company like FAULKNER SPRINGS and have a set made up in the poundage you need. They told me they can even do anti roll bars too.

Re locate the track control arm on the cross member by redrilling the holes  further up to reduce camber change on dive and roll.

Stiffen the rear end to stop roll which will reduce that roll over steer on corner entry.

Some of the damper companies will build you some adjustable dampers if you send them the old ones as a patern. 

Dont lower the rear further than the front as it will wash out the cars turn in.

Regards

Roger

GREEN EYE MOTORSPORT 
            HOME OF THE TOAD
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:40:46 PM by TOAD » Logged

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.