Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:38:50 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Voli gets a head job
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voli gets a head job  (Read 6848 times)
Gremlino

« on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:30 PM »

After a few uncomfortable months with our house move and subsequent dramas I was pleased that I finally had an interested potential buyer for Voli at the end of November.
The happiness soon turned to horror as she decided to yet again boil over on the test drive and I was left wondering if I was going completely mad after I thought I'd cured the problem by changing the thermostat and having the radiator re-built  Huh Huh

I left the car alone for a few weeks then asked my old friend Mark Devaney to do the obvious thing and pull Volis head off ( Shocked ).

Yes the head gasket had gone on number four to the corner waterway and this was pressurising the coolant causing the overheating and water ejection......just a shame it would only do it intermittantly Roll Eyes

No other problems and the engine is otherwise in fine fettle, bores are good with no scores or crowning and the valves and combustion chamber are fine needing only a de-coke. I'm getting him to do the bottom oil seal and secondary shaft oil seal while the head is off as without the charger being in the way its fairly straight forward.

What surprised me was the size of the inlet valves, I knew they were fairly large compared to a normally aspirated engine but these seem huge (35mm). Also the waterways seem a different shape.
I managed to get a headgasket ok from Germany and this hopefully will all be put back together after the head comes back from its light skim (dont want to raise the compression!) and valve re-cut.

Anywho, enough of my chat......have a look at the pics...... 

* Copy of Various Pics 017.jpg (205.01 KB, 960x719 - viewed 650 times.)

* Copy of Various Pics 018.jpg (177.59 KB, 935x698 - viewed 724 times.)

Signature has gone Kaput!
Gremlino

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

Charger detail...

* Copy of Various Pics 021.jpg (137.55 KB, 779x580 - viewed 640 times.)

* Copy of Various Pics 020.jpg (147.7 KB, 902x674 - viewed 666 times.)

Gremlino

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »

More...

* Copy of Various Pics 019.jpg (118.33 KB, 829x621 - viewed 604 times.)

Gremlino

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:13:53 PM »

And the engine block type number....

* Copy of Various Pics 022.jpg (169.33 KB, 881x660 - viewed 736 times.)

Tas131

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 09:00:51 AM »

It could be a parallax error with the camera angle, but they look to be around 43.5mm, standard inlet valve size on 2l 131 superbravas sold in OZ.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
paulcas

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »

Hi Graham,
hope you are well. Good to see that Voli is on the mend.

Met up with "Spitter" and Jane yesterday who said to say hi and Merry Christmas.

All the best.

Paul 
djape1977

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »

standard inlet valves for fiat's twincam. they vary from model to model from 41 - 44mm. my 1,8 has 43,2mm, and 2,0 has 42mm.
head gasket from croma turbo can be very usefull. it's easyly obtained and is meant to take higher pressure than ordinary head gasket. only needs a slight modification to be fitted to 131/132 engine. it lacks a single water galerry hole. just make a new 8mm hole in a right spot and that's it

get a bigger hammer!
theredx19
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »

Get the engine tuned correctly afterwards as the valves seem very black but then it could have been on cold start but it is very important as the exhaust valves are sodium and tend to be weaker so the fuel ratio is very important...
Gremlino

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »

Thanks everyone, hope you all had a good day today.

The valves just seem much larger than I remember from days gone by.....my memory playing tricks on me  Huh
I suppose I've got used to looking at 128 valves and modern multi valve sets which are small by comparison.

As for the heavy carboning....we found that the re-circulation breather was completely clogged up and the mixture was over rich. This will be set up properly when all  back together....I have been able to get hold of the Volumex workshop manual so I'll study this before tackling the tuning.
Perhaps a trip to the rolling road would be sensible. 

Thanks also for the advice on the head gasket, I was able to obtain the original  Federal Mogul Goetze
item and was not expensive.
The Volumetrico engine gasket set is also still available which means nice new gaskets for the charger and manifold.

I'm really looking forward to getting her back up to good running order even though I have to wait a few months for the better weather to use her regularly again.

Paul, thanks for saying hi to G & J from me, seems ages since I last saw them.....hope you wore waterproofs when you met up as I bet G had lots to talk about  Cheesy

I'll post more pics as & when I get back to the workshop.   

G

jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »

Hi Graham
 is the head all back together ,machined and polished  or have you a while to go yet Tongue

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Gremlino

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:19:27 PM »

or have you a while to go yet

Hi Jay,

I haven't been down to the workshop so not much movement there.

Should be all back together in a week or so,  I'm doing a quick re-comission on Sharons new car and I'm also putting time in on my every day motor.

Be sure I will put up pics once I get back to Voli.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.