Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:34:38 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  engine timing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: engine timing  (Read 5539 times)
supermirafiori

« on: September 14, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »

Hi my 131 have the 131.c3000 engine (twincam)

Does anyone know a easy way to replace the timing belt without loose the timing?

Also if anyone knows the torque for the tensioner screw and the position of timing marks?

mirafiori76

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »

Hi there,

It's easy actually. On all cogwheels there are marks. In the camrods there is a hole which has to be aligned with the mark on the housing. When you do so, the crackshaft will be aligned together with the rod from the distributor.
It's an idea to mark both crankshaft rod and distributor rod with some white paint marker. In this way you can align them to each other. This is the easiest way to change the timing belt.

Then the tension. Easy too  Smiley Just fix the timing belt and put some tension on the spanner with a screwdriver. Use it as a lever.  Twist the timing belt on the longest side. If you can twist it for a quarter then that's the right tension. If you can twist it further then you have to unscrew the tensionbearing again and do it over again. If you can't twist it enough then the tension is too high.

For everybody, this is the easiest way to exchange the timing belt without the need of special tools.

Good luck.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
supermirafiori

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

Thank you for your answer.

The twincam tensioner is autotension  or not because i have a photo from the engine and there is a spring near i the rension bearing
If it is automatic it is necessery to replace the spring?
Also it is necessery to remove the crankshaft flywheel to remove and install the belt?

The test with the twist where i must do this in the area of the belt between the camshafts or near on the tensioner?

After the replacement how i can test if everything is ok?

Thank you

mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

Yes the tension is preset by the spring which shouldn't need changed. It's worth checking the tensioner bearing however for wear, seizure etc.

The belt can be fitted without removing the crankshaft pulley although it's a tight squeeze.

Once the belt is fitted, turn the engine over by hand two full turns in the normal direction of rotation and then re-check all the marks are aligned. If they are then everything should be fine.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
mirafiori76

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »

Yes, this is the right way to do it. The spring isn't even really necassery. Why it's there, i don't know. It even isn't strong enough to put the right tension to the belt.

Just make sure the bolt is fit thight. The one on the bearing i mean. This is very important.

supermirafiori

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »

I rotate the engine manual by hand the spark plugs must removed or not? If the timing belt does not have the right tension what happen when i turn the engine by hand (e.g belt slip off the gears)

I think that it is better to remove the radiator.

Can anyone upload a photo with the aligment marks in correct position.

It is better when i remove the old belt to have the 1 gear in gearbox to avoid the cranksahft rotation is this correct?

mirafiori76

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:43:53 PM »

It's really easy actually. You don't have to put the car in 1st gear and you don't have to remove the radiator. There's plenty of space between the timing belt and the fan.
Here goes...again, but step by step:

Turn the engine by hand and make sure all markks align. The ones on the camrods are to be aligned with the "stripes"on the housing. The pulley on the crankshaft is aligned with the large stripe on the yellow cover. There are 3 marks. The one that has the longest mark is 0!
Then take of the T-pipe from the cooling on top of the front from the engine. Otherwise you won't be able to take of the yellow cover. There's a bolt on the outlet side of the car to let out the cooling water.
You need a new gasket there for the T-pipe.
Take off the cover and mark the pulleys from crankshaft and distributor with a white marker.
Just cut the old timing belt and put on the new one. Yes, the pulley from the crankshaft gives you some trouble, but it is possible to fix the belt.
Put the belt in place and loosen the bearing again. Again, the tension is not enough so use a scredriver (a big one) to strenghten the belt.
Make sure again that all marks are in place. Turn the engine by hand 2 times. You could even put the yellow cover back in place to make sure the crank is in the right position.
Feel the belt. You must turn it a quarter. That's the right tension. Then put back the cover and the T-pipe with it's new gasket.
And oh yes...fill the cooling again.

If you still hesitate to do the job, then come over here and i'll do it for you in about 10 minutes.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Good luck.

mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »

Personally I've never had to use a screwdriver to set the tension, the spring has always done it for me.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
mirafiori76

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »

But then you wouldn't get the job done in 10 minutes, like i do... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:15:11 PM by mirafiori76 » Logged

supermirafiori

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »

OK thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.